Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aerial photography with large format

Aerial photography with large format

I'm looking to invest in a large format for outdoor photography and specially fo r aerial photography. The beautiful Linhof aerotechnika is way to expensive for me and is probably unusable for for "normal " pictures. But what about a normal field view camera like the Technika? Is it possible to fix once accurately on infinity (before the flight for example) and then only have to change the film during the flight? I have no experience with large forma t but I'm used to shoot at least at 1/250s with a medium format. I do not shoot through a window so the wind might be a pro blem for the camera? So here my question: can you imagine yourself hand holding a view 4x5 camera and shooting t hrough an open window at 90 mph with high enough shutter speed and expecting sharp images?

Thank you for your ideas and camera suggestions.

Colin

A Speed/Crown/Super Graphic might work for this  not a full view camera, so less movements, and a little more solid. BUT, Id worry about all that wind on the bellows (unless you were using a very short focal length lens). Maybe you could rig up some kind of wind block on the wind side of the bellows.

I have done this with both 4x5 and 2x3 speed graphics. I have also tried it with a 2x3 Crown Graphics, but the shutter speed (nominally 1/250 but actually about 1/125) was not fast enough to eliminate blur. My 4x5 Speed came with an aluminum shield for this -- it is not necessary unless you slick the camera outside the window (which I find too awkward, especially since I am piloting the airplane at the same time -- I just open the side window and shoot thru it).

Used a Speed Graphic all the time in the Navy leaning out the door of a helicopter. Every time a ship came out of the yard it had to have a complete photo "rig" done. I was also the photo lab camera repairman, and we used to set up a couple on infinity and add some extra screws to lock the rail down. We also made a simple back-of-the-lens-board bracket to hold a yellow filter gel. We used Grafmatic magazines instead of two-sheet holders. No darkslide to blow away.

What about that HOBO rig. It's fixed focus and suposed to be built like a door? There was an earier post and they are always advertised in View Camera. Never tried one, it just occured to me. Dean
    Dean Lastoria

Peter Gowland still makes metal aerial cameras (you can get his contact details at the Shutterbug.net site), and Granview cameras (http://www.granview.com/) are another possibility.

There are frequently aerial cameras for sale on EBay. A keystone F-8 or a K-20 manufactured to govt specs by many camera makers during WWII; either one sells regularly for $ 20-50.

These cameras are usually in need of repair, but they are so well made they can be repaired successfully. I have several I致e gotten in good shape, and I知 starting to slit large rolls of aerial film down to fit these babies.

I知 going out tomorrow to make some test photos using and F-8 and an F-56. They both take 7inch roll film which I have slit for them out of the 9.5 inch rolls the commercial aerial guys use. If anyone in interested in either cameras or film like this email me and I値l keep you posted until everything is tested and working.

I知 a registered eBay member and I値l will be selling both cameras and film for large format aerial photography on eBay. My eBay ID is Vintcams_n_film.

Dan Carson DanCarson@aol.com

I just bought a Fairfield Aero camera yesterday on eBay for $50. The nice thing about this one is that you can use regular sheet film in a Grafmatic holder (for Graflex backs, not Graphic backs). I obviously have not gotten the camera yet, but I want to clean it up, check it and use it for aerial shots. It has fixed focus and a 165mm lens - sounds like this would be ideal for what you are looking to do - it's cheaper than any Graflex camera or Linhof.
    Juergen

Colin,

You can certainly use a speed or crown graphic. Focus for infinity and have at it! Useful accesories would be grafmatics and a home made shield out of stiff sheet brass or aluminium you can attach with the 1/4-20 tripod fitting that would protect the bellows from the airstream.

The Gowland aerial is a fine camera for helicopter use in 5x7 and 8x10 format.

Use plastic film holders (if you're not using Graphmatics) with a design or pattern imprinted so your camera won't sieze after gaining altitude---I learned that a spring back makes a dandy one way air pressure valve! The little ridges give air a place to leak into the camera, preventing such nonsense.

Of the surplus cameras my favorite is the F-8--it takes 7" roll film which as already mentioned, you can cut down from 9-1/2" roll fillm You'll have to scout around for 7" spools though. An aerial processor is the most painless way to soup the stuff. If an aerial outfit in your neck of the woods won't do it for you, get an aerial processor off eBAy---they aren't very expensive(less than three bathtubs side by side, anyway---especially if you factor in the alimony payments) Worthless on the ground except as a door stop, however ;-)

IMHO, you could rig a Linhof Technica III or IV with a shield to protect the bellows, so that would give you a great terrestial camera as well which you could convert to flight duty with a bit of scrap metal and a 1/4-20 knurled screw. You're right about focusing at infinity and locking 'er down before going upstairs.

Don't let your camera touch or rest on the airframe. Use a proper filter, and look at all the Bradford Washburn books you can get your mitts on for inspiration!

Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John, I like the F-8 too, because it痴 lighter in weight. But I prefer my F-56 even though it is harder to handle. (It weights 31 lbs). That's after I had the motor and all electrical wiring removed. The reason I like the F-56 is the 7x7 inch negative size.

I find I'd rather decide in the darkroom if I'm going to make a horizontal or vertical print. Making that decision in the air when I'm rushed is hard to do. Of course if the weight was the deciding factor I'd go with my K-20, but it only has a 5x5 inch negative. :-) Dan