Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mexico Trip

Mexico Trip

Will be going to Mexico shortly, staying in Cuernavaca. I know I need to take all my film. Any other suggestions are welcome, nearby towns, or other suggestions for LF photography? I will also have a few days in the DF.

Gracias senores

Re: Mexico Trip

Near Cuernavaca, Taxco is a beautiful town clinging to a hillside. Makes for great views, one of which I have attached here.

In all the time I have been in Mexico, I have never set foot in the DF, unfortunately, but there is a lot to see there. Watch your back, as the city has become dangerous.

Also not too far from Cuernavaca is Tepoztlan, which is supposed to be enchanting.

Farther away than Taxco, near Chilpancingo, in Chilapa, there is a market on Sunday mornings that stretches on for at least a kilometer, and it's all indigenous handicrafts; the best part is they make it for themselves and each other, not the "outside world." Probably too far from you (about 4 hours?).

You're probably not that far from Puebla and Cholula either.

If you are going elsewhere, let me know via email, as I have criss-crossed a lot of the country, and am happy to give recommendations. I also recommend the Lonely Planet guide for Mexico. Happy trails!

The above picture is very beautiful. Prepare a chart about Mexico places and it will be useful for Mexico going people.

If you are intending near term travel you might consider a last will and testament.

Bring a few surgical masks, to be on the safe side!

Hopefully, Terry completed his travel and already has negatives that he is currently printing.

If I had plane tickets to Mexico at this juncture, I would take the high road and cancel. Because it appears that nobody wants to take this seriously in this country because we do not want to upset anyone, it is cause for concern. Serious diseases should be isolated and studied not completely ignored. The rest of the world is moderately freaking out as they should.

I wouldn't go either, because on the rare chance that you fall ill, you'll be depleting resources that would otherwise go to sick Mexicans. This will pass soon enough, flu kills thousands of people every year already, this will be a rough year but it's cyclical.

Unless you think of it as nature's population control, like a big deer die-off.

I am kind of wondering about using air travel and visiting any American cities for a few weeks and seeing how it goes?

Really bad timing for me. My wife and I were planning to be in Xalapa, Mexico, for a week together in the middle of May, and then I was to stay on another week to teach a workshop on carbon transfer printing, with an exhibition of some recent work. We will probably go if the event is not postponed, which seems possible if not likely, because so far there has been no outbreak in Xalapa and our travel is directly to Veracruz and not through D.F. Still, I would be happier if the event is postponed to the fall.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Hopefully, Terry completed his travel and already has negatives that he is currently printing.

If I had plane tickets to Mexico at this juncture, I would take the high road and cancel. Because it appears that nobody wants to take this seriously in this country because we do not want to upset anyone, it is cause for concern. Serious diseases should be isolated and studied not completely ignored. The rest of the world is moderately freaking out as they should.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Really bad timing for me. My wife and I were planning to be in Xalapa, Mexico, for a week together in the middle of May, and then I was to stay on another week to teach a workshop on carbon transfer printing, with an exhibition of some recent work. We will probably go if the event is not postponed, which seems possible if not likely, because so far there has been no outbreak in Xalapa and our travel is directly to Veracruz and not through D.F. Still, I would be happier if the event is postponed to the fall.

Sandy
    At the end of the day Sandy all any of us are concerned about is the health and safety of everyone. Postponing a trip is no big deal particularly with the way that the airlines are relaxing cancellation penalties. This concerns me that we are at the end of the flu season and it is just picking up steam so it is not your typical event.

We all hope that we have a robust immunity system. That said anyone with half a brain would not want to test that assumption unnecessarily. The risks are to great when it can (hopefully) be avoided if we are responsible to take it seriously.

I personally would like to have seen travel restricted to and from Mexico for a short time to be safe than sorry because when the condition gets to big for us to manage it is going to be to late. Walking around all day with a surgical mask on is not my ideal of living on my terms.

Mike,

Whether to go to Mexico or not was taken out of my hands as the organizers of the event elected to postpone it until late September. All things considered I believe they made the right choice.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    At the end of the day Sandy all any of us are concerned about is the health and safety of everyone. Postponing a trip is no big deal particularly with the way that the airlines are relaxing cancellation penalties. This concerns me that we are at the end of the flu season and it is just picking up steam so it is not your typical event.

We all hope that we have a robust immunity system. That said anyone with half a brain would not want to test that assumption unnecessarily. The risks are to great when it can (hopefully) be avoided if we are responsible to take it seriously.

I personally would like to have seen travel restricted to and from Mexico for a short time to be safe than sorry because when the condition gets to big for us to manage it is going to be to late. Walking around all day with a surgical mask on is not my ideal of living on my terms.