Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large Format Photography to Grand Format Printing

Re: Large Format Photography to Grand Format Printing

I wonder whether it would be profitable to offer customers the option of sending in (via a digital file,) their own artwork to be printed?

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Hi Mark, That is a very good question. The gallery that we are putting together is just a taster for designers and photographers. The real funky ideas will come from people like yourself that start thinking about the concept. There is no end to this concept apart from file size, so if it can be shot L F and the lighting and focusing is spot on you can do what you like. To answer your question yes people can use their own image and yes it will be profitable.

I think you will get the best possible quality using a digital scanning back. As you are not intending to do the photography yourself I would suggest contacting a Betterlight owner here in the UK. Richard Kenward at Artisan Digital (http://www.artisan-digital-services.co.uk) is very knowledgeable and has the right equipment, I'd give him a ring if I were you.

David Whistance

The lab where my wife works does something of this sort. They have capability to do large graphics (the sort you see on public transportation buses and the like) and can print on fabric, so she had a drapery made of one of her MF images of trees. The target resolution isn't quite as high as you might have in a print but it turned out really well. Negs are scanned on either the Sigma or drum scanner.

Hi , Yep same idea really, we concentrate on interior design products only. Because the flooring spaces can be so big is why I started looking at L F Photography. If you scan a 8 x 10 what file size could I expect?

If you're hung up on high resolution final images then you can scan using something like an Aztek and end up with perhaps 4 Gb files, or larger, from 8X10. BUT the necessity for such a large file would be contingent on the intrinsic quality (resolution) that was captured on 8X10 film. This sounds like a project that requires a fairly thorough plan from image capture through transfer to your product. I'd recommend a close coupling between the photographer and the digital scanner, at least. I assume your equipment can utilize digital data directly in some conventional format.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Print2 View Post
    Hi , Yep same idea really, we concentrate on interior design products only. Because the flooring spaces can be so big is why I started looking at L F Photography. If you scan a 8 x 10 what file size could I expect?
    With an Aztek Premier, you could get a file as large as 24 Gigabytes. That would be 80,000 pixels wide, or 5,120 megapixels. You could make a full resolution print at 360 dpi at 222 inches, or 18.5 feet. You would want some good computing power to manage this. However, its doable. I've done it before...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Wink Re: Large Format Photography to Grand Format Printing

I would try a few samples before getting to hung up on size, super large files might prove to slow for the workflow needed to do this profitably. The material you are printing on will have a big effect on resolution you see, as will how the scans are made. You might find the 12mp camera is the practical and commercially sound solution even if not the ultimate quality. If you get busy, shooting 10x8, scanning and printing large files might be a bit of a choker. LF is great providing your equipment can handle that size of quality without grinding to a holt, if it can't smaller will be as good.

Kevin

Hi Lenny, Thanks for the info.

Hi Kevin, Take your point also, large files will slow workflow, I’m thinking that we may be able to do this 4 x 5. But thanks so much for taking your time out for all this information. Thanks everyone for all your replies up to now, please keep it coming as all points have been valid.