Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you??????????????

How do you??????????????

I have a 4x5 neg I'm printing on my computor and it's a shot of Yosemite falls with the surrounding rocks.The rocks print excellent but the waterfall's contrast is just a little to high.How do I tone down the contrast of the waterfall without messing with the rest of the print?

Re: How do you??????????????

Dodge it, just like you would in a real darkroom.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Scan for the highlights, adjust your curves for the mid-tones and shadow detail.

Or you can scan it twice. First for the waterfall and the second scan for everything else, then combine the two in Photoshop. This is called High Dynamic Arrange merge.

You've got lots to learn, so start making mistakes! Grin.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

No kidding, Every time I mess with photo shop I see just how much I have to learn.

The easiest way is to open Photoshop, click on Image > Adjustments, then scroll down to Shadows/Highlights and click on it. At the top of the panel that opens you'll see "Shadows," under it you'll see "Amount." Move the arrow under Amount all the way to the left because you aren't adjusting the shadows. Below "Shadows" you'll see "Highlights." Under it you'll see "Amount," "Tonal Width," and "Radius" (you'll see these under "Shadows" also but you don't need to worry about them there as long as the "Amount" slider is all the way to the left). For starters set Tonal Width to 50% and Radius to 30 px. The "Amount" slider will control the density of the highlights. Move it around until you get the highlights looking like you want them.

This is a crude method (because it may adjust highlights in areas you don't want to adjust) but from your description of the photograph it should work o.k. in this case because it sounds like the highlights are only in the waterfall.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

You could make a Quick Mask (using a soft edge brush) of the falls, and put it on it's own layer. Then apply Levels to the falls.

Everyone has their own way of doing things in photoshop. In the situation you would describe (i.e. you're happy with the rocks but not the waterfall), I would then make a curves layer and adjust to the point where you're happy with the waterfall (steeper slope to the curve in the tones of the waterfall > greater contrast; flatter slope > less contrast). Then use the paint bucket to fill the layer mask with black, and a white brush on the mask to paint in the areas of interest on the waterfall (that way you can vary the size of the brush, the opacity, etc. to season to taste).

Cheers!
    Bill

The question is almost too broad to answer, but essentially it boils down to making a selection of the area you wish to change and adjust those pixel values independently. But there are dozens and dozens of possible tools to use to get there. Regardless of what you use, my advice is to work non-destructively with adjustment layers and not permanently alter your original base layer.

How did you scan it?

Unless the waterfall is VERY dense or the rest of it VERY underexposed, most scanners will be able to pull in the highlight and shadow detail from a B&W neg. You can determine the amount of contrast and/or the tone curve in the scanning software.

If the scanner can't pull in enough detail, then you might want to get it professionally scanned, because high end scanners will do better with dense highlights and thin shadows.

Once it's digitized, there are a million techniques to tame local contrast. I'd avoid shadow/highlight like the plague, though -- it imparts ugly halos in the image if you're not extremely precise with it (or use a mask).

A others have said, there are a lot of ways to accomplish this. However, one should not use the dodge tool. One should use a technique that involves an adjustment layer.

A gradient mask, a selection of the highlights for a mask (my preferred method), and then a curve adjustment...

I'm sure there are any number of people here who cold explain the technique to you...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing