Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand bound...

New Zealand bound...

I'm going to be travelling to New Zealand in
    early February. We should be there for two weeks.

I am putting a "lite" pack together to try to bring
    a 4x5 with me.

Couple of questions -

Has anyone experienced what the routine is with the
    customs folks on clearing expensive photo gear on
    entering the country? I certainly plan on bringing
    everything home with me, but do I somehow need to
    prove that to the customs folks?

Same thing with film. If I either preship it to a fedx
    depot or bring it as carry on, how do I deal with customs?

Does anyone know if Air New Zealand will give me any
    static about calling my gitzo a carry on item in addition
    to my camera pack ( which, as I understand it, must weigh
    less than 15 lbs.)?

I'm really jazzed about all we will see, but I need help
    with these logistical issues.

Thanks in advance

Terry
    www.terryhayden.com

Lachlan 717

Re: New Zealand bound...

Here in Oz, we had a TV show called "Border Security". Basically, it was a doco that showed Australian and NZ Customs and Imigrations in action.

I remember one episode was about a professional photographer going to NZ for a shoot.

To cut a long story short, NZ Customs decided that he had too much roll film, and charged him import duty. They were of the opinion that he had import quantity of film.

So, I would suggest getting in touch with their Customs agency and finding out how much you will be allowed to bring with you...

For what it's worth, it's a bloody spectacular place! The South Island is much grander than the North. All the best for the trip.

Lachlan.

it will be no problem. do not worry.

it is always safe to declare anything you are not sure of! it can not hurt. i used to declare all kinds of worthless crap going to thailand as the line for "something to declare" was always shorter than the "nothing to declare line" you may find this to be true as well.

carry your film on. run it through the CARRY ON x ray. you will have no problem. i check my tripods.

you will have great time. i spent 2 years on the south island....i loved it!

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I was there back in the 90's and carried 2 35mm cameras and a large amount of 35mm film and a Sinar 4x5 with plenty of film. I always carry my film and cameras with me, but I put my tripods in my checked luggage. I have never even been given a second look by customs when traveling with film/cameras, this includes NZ. The equipment is given more scrutiny when getting on the plane. I think your more likely to get the stink-eye by customs if you are a Kiwi and bringing in a lot of new equipment.

Have a good time. The whole country is absolutely beautiful, but the south island is especially gorgeous - IMHO.

Richard

I can help you with this. We fly regular down to NZ. I take film down all the time, plenty too. Film is very expensive in NZ.

Where are you flying from?

I try right from the start not to have my film x-rayed. When you count the number of times it can go through the machine, you're pretty much on the limit.

I fly regular from LAX with either ANZ or UA. Eddie is right about 4x5. I always hand my film over to the TSA for a hand search. Always have the invoices etc. A smile goes a long way, they have a rotten job, so courtesy is much appreciated.

If you fly UA through Sydney, Australia, there is another security check when in transit to the next gate whether ANZ or Quantas. Just hand the film over as at LAX - no worries.

Customs at AKL is simple. Tell the Officer at the gate you have film, declare everything. They are really helpful. You're just another photographer who has come to photograph their beautiful country and you've made one hell of a journey.

There is agricultural screening. This is major. Pull your film out. Have it in ziplock bags. Show the Officer before it goes through, they have never given me hassle, I am allowed to hold it whilst my bags go through the x-ray.

ANZ are great. They are really helpful. Just ask, you might have to pay something, I never have.

I'll be down there too for February. It'll be very hot. You need to be up sharpish to get the light. Make sure you have plenty of sun screen, buy the Cancer Society approved when down there. The sun will sting you, no word of a lie, ten minutes and you're fried. Your enemy is the sun, not NZ Customs. Long sleeve linen shirts and a sun hat!

Cheers,

Tim.

Been there 11 times. Greatest landscape small country on the planet. One oddity, after you gather your stuff in the Auckland airport and clear customs, you have to put your stuff through x-ray just before you leave the terminal. Never had a problem with 5 separate scans on a single trip. If you have a photo vest and travel with just separate sheets (no ReadyLoads), you can probably carefully arrange the boxes in the rear pockets and get them through unnoticed. Depends on how you want to play the game.

Re carry-on: fly Air NZ, not Qantas. Yes, theoretically your carry-on is weight-limited. But I have had no trouble with both a fully loaded Super Trekker and Pro Trekker on separate occasions. Kiwis seem a whole lot cooler about this than people from Oz. You just have to be a bit discreet when boarding. I have a separate shoulder strap that I clip onto the pack that lets me keep it behind my back when they take my boarding pass. It might work with a tripod as well.

Major help - thanks everyone.

For the record, I will be flying ANZ out of San Francisco to
    Auckland.

Has anyone had any success in pre-shipping film to
    N.Z.? Maybe Fed-x and hold it at the depot?

My concern is that I do, indeed, use readyloads. Even
    combining boxes it takes up a fair amount of space. I'm
    afraid that 10 or more boxes worth will more than take up
    the space in the carry on that I'd rather use for the gear.

Thanks again and any other kibitzing on locations or whatever
    whould be appreciated.

The master plan is to land in Auckland, rent a car, and drive
    a LOT. I'm hoping to make it down to the southern area of
    the south island as my far point.

We fly back ( after two weeks ) out of Christchurch via Auckland
    back to S.F.

Terry
    www.terryhayden.com

Terry, wishing you a grand journey, with lots of keepers! I look forward to seeing the results.

Merg

If you've not fixed s hire car, you might like to give ACE Care Hire a call. The AKL City depot is the best to deal with, you'll save yourself a lot of money. Avoid booking via the web, always phone, they'll negotiate. The cars are not luxurious, but we've never broken down and have done 1000's of kms over the years.

The X-Ray after Customs is the Agricultural Screening.

There are a couple of photo outfits in Wellington. They make stock your film?
    Probably after paying the Fedex and Customs charges, the price of film in Kiwi may not be so bad after all.

Tim

you can ship your stuff by a number of ways. USPS is good too. you can ship it General Post Office to your self with no issues. i have done this in many many countries with great success. just pick your PO.

i found the S island way better....but i am a mountain person......
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery