Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Sale/Wanted

Cool For Sale/Wanted

Does this forum have an official or unofficial courtesy procedure? I know some forums ask that interest in an item be shown by leaving a message like "PM sent". I ask because in thel ast week I have been the only person to leave such a message only to find out that there is a long queue ahead of me for the particular item.

Wayne
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Re: For Sale/Wanted

Wayne I think if you are there expeditiously then leaving a 'pm sent' on a popular item saves disappointment for somebody else. I don't think it's a rule or a given. Sometimes I've pm'd without leaving any indication on a for-sale, but usually I do as a courtesy and to piss on the lamp post.

I think it is rude, or to be kind, ignorant -- for someone to leave these "PM Sent" tags because it queers the sale to other buyers, long after the private message sender has bailed or flaked out on the deal. Please don't do it anymore.

Only the seller should indicate that the item is "pending payment" or "sold". Too many times the person who sends the first private message doesn't end up buying, but it looks like they've laid claim to the item and scared other people away.

Fair enough. Other places are different.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

All too true Frank, but if I want something and there's already a 'pm sent' I'll still send a message and join the queue as it were.

I agree, good point Frank- I am guilty of having pee'd too soon on a couple of posts and felt bad about it later- some of the good stuff around here sure goes fast though- I for one will modify my behavior and just get in the queue from now on

I agree with Frank but please, sellers, post when the item is sold or reply to all the non-successful buyers. I just hate to sit out there wondering if my PM was received only to find out much later that I was too late.

Paul

All's well that ends well.

I'm cool.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I think it is rude, or to be kind, ignorant -- for someone to leave these "PM Sent" tags because it queers the sale to other buyers, long after the private message sender has bailed or flaked out on the deal. Please don't do it anymore.

Only the seller should indicate that the item is "pending payment" or "sold". Too many times the person who sends the first private message doesn't end up buying, but it looks like they've laid claim to the item and scared other people away.
    Odd. I didn't USED to post that I'd PM'ed until I got dumped on privately for NOT doing it. So I started. Sorry for becoming ignorant.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

All I know is that some forums request that a buyer send a PM to a seller and indicate such in the listing as well. It doesn't always happen that way.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog