Thread: Question for Expodev users

Question for Expodev users

Sorry if these are dumb questions, be kind.

Ihad my film test done and installed the software on my palm. My confusion comes in when it comes to putting in the EV. Luckily my Sekonic does measure EV. My understanding is this.

Set the iso to 100
    Measure the scene I want to be on zone 3, put EV in with 3 typed in the zone box
    Do the same for the scene I want on zone 7
    Complete the rest of the data input and follow directions for exposure and dev.

What about low contrast scenes with say a 3-4 stop spread?

Do I change the zone values to say 3 and 6? And then measure accordingly? Hope this makes sense, thanks

Re: Question for Expodev users

Coops, I'm a beginner at this, but what I have been doing with a degree of success is to use the "Incident" setting rather than "Zone". This means that you only have to take a reading in the brightest highlight for the "Hi EV" and another reading in the darkest shadow area for the "Lo EV" and the Palm does the rest. There are demonstration DVDs that came with my Expodev which shows how to make adjustments at the exposure meter when taking the ev to take care of tricky situations. You are correct in that the ISO should be set to 100 all the time. Hope that this helps a little.

Thanks David. Did not get the dvd. Do you create your own shadow if you are unable to meter the subject shadow? Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    Thanks David. Did not get the dvd. Do you create your own shadow if you are unable to meter the subject shadow? Thanks again
    Hi Coop,

Yep, just make your own shadow and read that. I've been using incident with Expodev and have found it to provide excellent results.

Chris.

Thats what I thought chris. But that raises two more questions. Do you point the lightmeter toward the camera or accentuate the angle at all? And what do you do for the second EV if the scene is say, all in the same shadow?
    Thanks again