Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you go for E6 in the UK

Re: Where do you go for E6 in the UK

I had 2 bad experiences with Peak in the mid 90s and have never used them since. With what you tell me about BPD I will certainly be sending my next batch to NPS.

Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    I had 2 bad experiences with Peak in the mid 90s and have never used them since. With what you tell me about BPD I will certainly be sending my next batch to NPS.
    And yet, BennehBoy reckons that now Peak are superbly clean and reliable.

I suppose there is always the possibility of any lab having a bad day

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    And yet, BennehBoy reckons that now Peak are superbly clean and reliable.

I suppose there is always the possibility of any lab having a bad day
    I suppose Peak may have had 2 bad days and it was 10+ years ago, but since their cockups cost me several hundred £s in a reshoot I'm not minded to go back to them. Since, in addition to Joe, NPS also count David Ward and Mark Denton amongst their clientele I'd rather send my work to them than go for the cheapest Lab possible.

Does anyone have any experience of 'CC Imaging' in Leeds as they seem to run the FujiFilm Lab franchise (£3.00 per sheet with unspecified quantity discount) ?

Hi

Try Loxley Colour in Glasgow - Have used them for 12+ years - 3.50 +Vat per sheet

Brian

Sorry - Should be £3.50 GB Pounds

Brian

@RJC I've used CC for E6, but only 120, always good results.

Well folks, I've been in to MPS this morning and can report that things would appear to have changed for the better.

Firstly, they finally came out with the truth about my fogged film that someone had opend both darkroom doors at the same time, instead of some vague excuse at the time (and asking me if I had a pinhole in my bellows).

Apparently, MPS have been doing the processing for BPD for a couple of years now so, if you want to know how good their developing is, ask someone who uses BPD.

Also, they are now one of the labs doing the developing behind the Fuji Choose Film site so, one would expect that they would have to be of a reasonable standard to obtain that contract.

MPS are charging £1.89 per sheet for E6, C41 or B&W 4x5 and £4.20 for 8x10. Discounts for bulk may be negotiable

To maintain quality, they say that they tend to only run (after testing) the E6 line twice a week Tuesday and Thursday mornings.

I have been invited to put some film in to evaluate the quality of their work, so I will attempt to take the same shot twice, one for Peak to do and the other for MPS.

Baxter

For those on the South Coast, Photoworksin Bournemouth are very good indeed £2.30 inc Vat per sheet 5x4. Jonathon Gay is particularly personable and very knowledgeable. They were going to shut down their E6 line a couple of years ago but had a change of heart. By that time, I'd resolved to do my own processing. Their quality control has always exceeded that of Peak in my experience.

FYI DIY E6 using Fuji Hunt 3 bath chemicals (excluding labour of love) costs £0.40 - £0.50 per sheet of 5x4 if you are tempted to take the plunge....! No clip marks on the trannies, no extra charge for pull & push processing..... I reckon I easily recovered the financial cost within 6-9 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Bradford View Post
    FYI DIY E6 using Fuji Hunt 3 bath chemicals (excluding labour of love) costs £0.40 - £0.50 per sheet of 5x4 if you are tempted to take the plunge....! No clip marks on the trannies, no extra charge for pull & push processing..... I reckon I easily recovered the financial cost within 6-9 months.
    I have oft times thought of going the same route but have been put off by the thought that the chemicals have a short shelf life and that I don't process film on a regular basis.

I have some questions :

1. How much is the chemistry?
    2. Where can it be purchased?
    3. How many sheets does it do?
    4. How long does an opened pack keep for?

5. What machine do you use?
    6. Do you need a tempered water supply?
    7. How do you achieve a tempered water supply?
    8. How much does it cost to provide a tempered water supply?

Baxter

Answers supplied immediately after the Q's - can't be doing with fiddling with snips etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    I have oft times thought of going the same route but have been put off by the thought that the chemicals have a short shelf life and that I don't process film on a regular basis.

I have some questions :

1. How much is the chemistry?
    £40 for 5 litres http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...ilm-chemicals/
    2. Where can it be purchased?
    Firstcall and other places
    3. How many sheets does it do?
    250ml does 6 sheets - therefore 5 litres does 120 sheets. In practise it's slightly less than this due to my eagerness to process push/pull batches.
    4. How long does an opened pack keep for?
    Quite a while (months in my experience) so long as you spray with Tentanol Protectan inert spray.

5. What machine do you use?
    Jobo ATL2300, previously the much more compact ATL1000. these are automatic, so fire and forget - until it beeps to say process complete.
    6. Do you need a tempered water supply?
    Yes
    7. How do you achieve a tempered water supply?
    I have a Casey-Jones lookalike Jobo product I was given with the processor. Prior to that I used a large camping jerry can with water heater from Nova and a camping pump (details on APUG I think). There are other options from plumbers merchants.
    8. How much does it cost to provide a tempered water supply? Depends on which option you go for.