Thread: room for a gear wiki?

room for a gear wiki?

I have been sitting on a domain for years now, gearhound.com. Today I was bored (avoiding working...), and was thinking about what to do with gearhound, and though I might throw out a wiki related to gear. A search on LFphotography.info returned a few hits related to wikis, and a few threads mentioned the utility in compiling info that is buried in our awesome resource here, and the benefits of having a source to direct repeat questions to. So, I threw up a wiki at gearhound.com and made a few stub pages like this one:

http://www.gearhound.com/mediawiki/i...hp?title=Goerz

What do you all think - any interest in something like this? I see it as a natural extension of a forum community like this one. I have benefit greatly from this forum, and thought others may benefit from gearhound.com.

I'd like to hear thoughts. Feel free to mess around on the site and respond and share.

Camerapedia.org

There's already a good Wiki been started for cameras & lenses etc at Camerapedia.org so unfortunately this is just duplicating what's already existing.

Ian

Re: room for a gear wiki?

Ah, I had not run across that resource.

Just because a Website exists and your work would be similar with some overlap and duplication, doesn't mean it's not worth doing or you can't develop your own variation of it. If there were only one Website of anything, the Internet would be pretty barren. The Internet isn't the Walmart of Websites, it's a whole world of Websites.

I'm working on a photo guide to Mt. Rainier NP, not because there already are books and Websites with a lot of information, but because none are comprehensive for the whole range of photographers' interest there and I like the work. I do have additional plans for it along with related projects about the NP, but it's the beauty of the Internet to put your own spin and flavor on things.

If you want to do the camera wiki, fine, go for it. You don't know where it will go or what will happen unless you try.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

A big difference is that the Camerapedia is open to anyone to edit and add to, your Mt Rainier site won't be.

Ian