Thread: Information on Old Lens

Information on Old Lens

I've been playing around with an old brass barrel lens purchased recently from KEH. The lens is labeled "Plasmatic Extra Rapid Portrait, George Angell, Detroit, Michigan, 124." It also indicates the plate size covered (6.5 x 8.5) and has aperture markings of 4,8,16,32,64 (US system I presume). Although it is not indicated, the focal length of the lens is about 8 to 9 inches.

Any clues about the design of the lens or information about the manufacturer? Is "Plasmatic" a likely variant of Plasmat, making the lens a relative of the airspaced Dagor? Anyone out there from the motor city who has heard of this company? (Anyone else suprised at the ability of old lenses to make sharp contact prints!) Thanks for your help.

Information on Old Lens

Dave,

I think that "Plasmatic" here is a likely variant of plasmat. You can take the lens apart (say for cleaning reason;-)) and examine its construction. Any information from Prof. Woody Wooden's book? George Angell is unlikely a factory's name, it's more likely the owner's name. In late 1800s', there was an artist/photographer/art dealer called George R. Angell in Detroit, Mich. He also was a board member of Detroit Museum of Art. Could the lens be a gift to him?

Information on Old Lens

The lenses commonly called 'plasmats' these days (more correctly: double-gauss construction) didn't come into common use until the 1920s. If the lens is earlier, and with a portrait tag to it, I'd say it's highly unlikely that it bears any resemblance to a modern Symmar, Sironar, or Nikon-W. It's more likely to be of Petzval construction. Symmetrical, but more like a wide aperture rapid-rectilinear than a Dagor.<brMost early lenses with portrait in the name were made for wide aperture use above all else, and the field curvature and edge definition was usually very poor.