Thread: Yang

Yang

Yet Another New Guy -- new to both large format, and this forum.

Well, not entirely new to LF -- I have owned only one LF camera -- a very nice Crown Graphic -- that I let get away from me in a moment of weakness several years ago.

I found out about this forum from Wayne, aka "Venchka" over at APUG. He and I "met" as a result of a thread I started over there, requesting for more information about where to find info on how to build a 4x5 field camera.

Just got off the phone with him after a long chat, and we discussed, among other things, a collaboration on building a Graflok back for his Zone VI. I have a milling machine, so it is likely something that I can produce for him.

I have two reasons for wanting to build my own 4x5 field. First, I think it would be a fun, and likely challenging, project. Second, I don't have a lot of money to spend, but I have a nice stash of well-seasoned cherry wood, and I can most likely fabricate most of the parts I need on my lathe and mill. I build custom guitars, so I'm not too concerned about the woodworking end of things. Mostly, I need a better understanding of basic design and how a field camera works.

Wayne pointed out that it might be false economics, thinking I'll save money by building a field camera from scratch, and I am not inclined to disagree. He suggested that I might be better off picking up one or more examples that are in need of refurbishment as a way of getting my feet wet. Seems like a reasonable idea. I reckon the process of restoration will require that I develop an understanding of its design and correct operation, which should go a long way toward giving me the perspective I will need to build my own.

I first became seriously interested in photography about 25 years ago, starting out with 35mm. I freelanced for a while, doing mostly motorsports photography. Expanded into medium format and had quite a bit of fun with it. Only dabbled in large format before I let a guy talk me into selling him my Crown Graphic. In more recent years, I've bowed to convenience and expediency and have used digital cameras almost exclusively. But more recently, I've felt the call of film and have begun to return to my roots. I have an old Nikon F2 with a decent assortment of lenses that takes passably good photos for a 35mm camera.

If you have any recommendations as to either sites or books that would be good primers for one who is essentially a novice to the format, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Best,

Michael

Re: Yang

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White