Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repairing bellows pinholes with liquid neopren

Repairing bellows pinholes with liquid neopren

I have found in an older thread, information on "liquid Neopren" for diving wet suit repairs used to mend bellows pinholes. Has someone had experience with that stuff? Would applying a layer of this stuff in the inner corners of the bellows be a good idea? Or would it stick the pleats together with the pressure and tim e?

Hi Paul, how many pin holes do you have? Is it one or two, or is it a whole string of them. In general, what condition are the corners in? David

David, although the bellows looks fine from the outside, I found 19 pinholes in the corners. And certainly more to come. That's why I have two alternatives: apply a coat of rubberized neoprene to fill and prevent new pinholes from forming... or contact Camera Bellows Inc. Thanks!

With that many pinholes I would opt for a new bellows. Then you won't have to worry for years or lose a good neg. Pat

Paul:

Take a quick look at the following post:

http://hv.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=005Qaf

You may have a third alternative besides patching or buying a new bellows. This involves recovering the old bellows using the liner and support ribs as a base.

As an aside, have you ordered from Camera Bellows Inc. or any other bellows makers? Any comments on price, service, etc.? I've heard of a number of companies (Flexible, Western, Universal, etc.) and I've purchased several bellows from Turner Bellows. Any preferences?

I ordered a new bellows for my Gandolfi 8x10 by Camera Bellows about 6 months ago. They were very courteous and serviceable, made it in about ten days and immediately shipped. The bellows is of excellent quality and beautiful to touch and to look at. If I remember well, it cost 150#. I do not know other bellows manufacturers but I think that if I need another bellows I will return to CB. Please note that I have no interest in CB and my only motivation to post this praise is that I was very pleased with CB's service.

I started repairing pinholes a year or so back. I could never get ahead. If the pinholes are in the corners where the pleats fold you are most likely going to keep getting more. After my loosing battle finally cost me a shot I started building my own version of a long bag bellows. It has worked fine although I would do things differently the next time.

Dave, thanks for the tip you posted in this other thread. I am usually not too bad a handy man, but this seems beyond my limits however! I'll buy some of that neoprene stuff next week from a diving shop. If fixing it with a brush and a layer of supple lack won't work, I will invest i n a replacement bellows. The bellows, (maybe another poor Ebay deal), looks good from the outside however . No wear off. I hope the neoprene will mend it.

Paul, I tried Neopren an it did not work out so well for me. It did close the pin hole but remained sticky for weeks. The best repairs that I have done have been with Black plastic tool dip. It is just as flexible as the Neopren and is much easier to handle. You may want to apply it to all the corners that you suspect is about to leak if you are going to stay ahead of the pin holes. Sooner or later however, you are going to have to get a new bellows.

Thanks Pat, the "stay sticky" issue was my concern. Where do you get the plastic tool dip? D.I.Y store? What is it made for?