Thread: Making inkjet prints from enlarger prints

Making inkjet prints from enlarger prints

I am new to using an enlarger and already figured out that because of my small darkroom, I doubt I can print larger than 8x10. I do a few local shows and would love to have larger versions of my good 8x10 prints available. I figured I could either scan my 4x5 on my Epson V750 and try to make the digital image very similar to the 8x10, or just scan the 8x10 print instead, and make larger prints from it. Is this a fairly common practice, or is there another alternative.
    My local lab can do a high rez scan with their Fuji finescan for $4.50, which may be a better scanning option than my Epson.
    Any input or suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Re: Making inkjet prints from enlarger prints

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    I am new to using an enlarger and already figured out that because of my small darkroom, I doubt I can print larger than 8x10. I do a few local shows and would love to have larger versions of my good 8x10 prints available. I figured I could either scan my 4x5 on my Epson V750 and try to make the digital image very similar to the 8x10, or just scan the 8x10 print instead, and make larger prints from it. Is this a fairly common practice, or is there another alternative.
    My local lab can do a high rez scan with their Fuji finescan for $4.50, which may be a better scanning option than my Epson.
    IMO, you will get more detail out of the original negative (shadow detail, etc) at something lke 1200dpi than scanning a print. Of course, you will have to adjust the image to get it to print properly but that would apply to scanning the print as well.

Re: Making inkjet prints from enlarger prints

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    Scanning darkroom prints to make enlargements is *not* a common practice. The common practice is to scan the film itself.

The reason for this is darkroom prints can't carry anything like the detail in the negative. You might get as much as a 2x enlargement from a print where you can go 10-12x and more (depending on film, development, image, etc.) from film without much problem.

Easy enough for you to find this out to your own satisfaction though. Get one of your prints scanned, and scan the negative on your scanner. Make same sized prints (or sections from what would be full sized prints) from each method and compare the resulting prints. See what works for you.

Bruce Watson