Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Strobist"...? What Is This

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Strobist"...? What Is This

On another forum there was a reference made to "The Strobist School". I gather that this is an photographic esthetic involving off-camera flash.

I didn't want to seem ignorant in THAT thread and I didn't want to seem challenging the other photographer. So I ask here...Hasent off-camera flash been a staple of advasnced studio technique for just forever...or is this technique like "Painting with light" that was the fad a hile back?

Any input on this?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: "Strobist"...? What Is This

Part of the Strobist concept recently is low cost or build it yourself solutions. I think this is a large part of the newness of these ideas, though many are variations on older ideas. I browse through there every once in a while. I have also made some of my own lighting set-ups to meet specific needs for what I wanted to accomplish, so I suppose I fit into the Strobist mentality a little.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

That is just off-the-camera flash - the point being that digital cameras allow for instant control, so that it can be done with cheap old handhelds where you'd once need a studio rig with control lighting.

For those who have not browsed the Strobist blog, it is www.strobist.com. I actually, quite enjoy browsing the site now and again after having run across it only a few months back. It was information there that motivated me to start playing with flash in large format.

Strobist makes using off-camera flash accessible for everyone...It touts cheap, small strobes, do it yourself stuff, etc. It has a lot of great technique. It is more-or-less the experience of someone who was once a PJ. He shot in a similar way when he shot film, too. I follow the blog, because it is just good advice...

Gordon, not to quarrel with you but at least for closeup work there's nothing new about using small flashes off camera. People who shoot fishes in aquaria have been doing this since the 1950s.

Sevo, re instant control. Interesting concept. I think what you mean is mindless instant control. Guide number arithmetic, after the flash(es) GN(s) is(are) determined is pretty instant too. And using a pre-calibrated flash rig is fast and amazingly reliable.

FWIW, I finally got around to making and calibrating a closeup flash rig for my 2x3 Graphics -- the previous one used 283s, was at times a bit much -- that uses tiny flashes. With it, getting the right exposure is no problem at all. Getting good focus is, though, driving me nuts.

Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Gordon, not to quarrel with you but at least for closeup work there's nothing new about using small flashes off camera. People who shoot fishes in aquaria have been doing this since the 1950s. . . . . .
    Actually Dan, we agree. That's why I italicized newness. I did think the do-it-yourself ring flash was interesting, and I have never seen that previously.

Ciao!

Gordon

You know you're a real strobist if . . .

. . . the trigger voltage on your strobe can also be used on the electric chair at the state pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    You know you're a real strobist if . . .

. . . the trigger voltage on your strobe can also be used on the electric chair at the state pen.

.,. Or smoke pours out of the 3mp digital camera hardwired to the 285 (for fast AC power supply recycling) suspended 2 feet above the camera on a flash bracket ?

-------
    That (knowing full well there was a 500v+ spike on the dvom) as an excuse to pick up some opto and rf triggers... and that array of speed lights in better times

AND after it all seems to be working right replacing the dslr
    with the 4x5 .,.

Maybe thats why almost all of my 4x5 lenses have flash sync,
    even the focal plane shutter in the SG has flash sync for
    barrel lenses .,.

Another LF mystery may have just been solved. Thanks !!!
    Last edited by rvhalejr; 5-Jan-2009 at 12:59. Reason: Line feeds ... and reeling it back into the LF work flow ...

Quote Originally Posted by rvhalejr View Post
    ..even the focal plane shutter in the SG has flash sync for
    barrel lenses .,.

huh?