Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh start, thinking about going large format.

Re: Fresh start, thinking about going large format.

Thanks,

I have taken a look at the Walker's cameras and they look great for a fraction of the price of the Ebony's although they don't offer the same degree of tilt/shift, etc. But I'm not entirely sure I will need that much more for landscape work? I also like the look of the Chamonix.

The important thing is stability and quality as which ever camera I purchase will probably be my last, unless there is a major break through in the development of digital and they improve the tilt/shift lens line up.

Thanks again.

P.S Can someone recommend a high quality scanner for 4x5 format, I don't want to lose any sharpness through scanning (although some is inevitable.) Or would it be wiser to have my developer scan them and put them on a DVD?

You certainly won't use any more movements than a Walker offers in landscape photography, nor probably in any other discipline. Don't underestimate the benefits of its weatherproofing - my first LF camera was a Wista DX which like other wooden cameras tended to lock up when it got really wet.

David Whistance

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by FearZeus View Post
    Thanks,

I have taken a look at the Walker's cameras and they look great for a fraction of the price of the Ebony's although they don't offer the same degree of tilt/shift, etc. But I'm not entirely sure I will need that much more for landscape work? I also like the look of the Chamonix.

The important thing is stability and quality as which ever camera I purchase will probably be my last, unless there is a major break through in the development of digital and they improve the tilt/shift lens line up.

Thanks again.

P.S Can someone recommend a high quality scanner for 4x5 format, I don't want to lose any sharpness through scanning (although some is inevitable.) Or would it be wiser to have my developer scan them and put them on a DVD?
    Hi John,

As alternatives to the Ebony go, at the top end the Arca Swiss is gorgeous and about the most flexible 4x5 out there (See Jack Dykinga and his fantastic Large Format book) and the Linof Technikardan is technically one of the most stable cameras (used well by David Ward http://www.into-the-light.com).

At the more cost effective end, the Chamonix is without doubt the biggest bang per buck you will get. It's light, built on a carbon fibre base and handles most movements with ease. Lots of people have bought them and been very happy. I've only played with one (Dav Thomas' - http://www.peaklandscapes.com/)

Scanning is a minefield but after a lot of investigation I can summarise as ..

1) Epson v750 - Excellent results for the price but not great at digging into shadows
    2) Imacon - very expensive but great for speed of operation and almost as good as..
    3) Drum Scanner - the best by a long shot but slow and messy..

For a full comparison of a 4x5 transparency, see here http://www.timparkin.co.uk/blog/scannercomparison

For a professional photographer, the Imacon is the obvious choice.

For an amateur who only prints to 16x20, the Epson will probably do..

For the discerning (read obsessive) amateur for whom no lost grain of film can be tolerated, a drum scanner (or a top end flatbed) is essential. Oh and probably get an Epson v750 too as you'll want to scan more than a couple of trannies per month.

Hope that helps..

Tim

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by dwhistance View Post
    You certainly won't use any more movements than a Walker offers in landscape photography, nor probably in any other discipline. Don't underestimate the benefits of its weatherproofing - my first LF camera was a Wista DX which like other wooden cameras tended to lock up when it got really wet.

David Whistance
    David isn't wrong! My Ebony has seized up under a 2 hour deluge in Scotland..

You have to be prepared to get the screwdriver out to slacken things off a little if you want a 'taught' camera and want to work in dry->wet conditions..

Tim

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon N View Post

DO NOT buy your lenses new.
    I'd totally disagree with this-
    How am I going to pick up nice used lenses if nobody buys them new?

j

Thanks Dave and Tim,

I'm interested in the drum scanner (for prints) combined with the epson (for adding the images to my website.) I was shocked to find that I couldn't do more than 4-5 images per month. I will do some reading and see if I can find a drum scanner, although I'm already wondering if it's worth the pain. If the savings are respectable then I will purchase one, if not then maybe MPS photographic (now known as Digitalab) in Newcastle can provide quality results.

John

If I was in GB, and spending the kind of money that an Ebony entails, I'd at least check out a Gandolfi. (Personally, I'd prefer the Gandolfi, and I'm sure that they can, unfortunately, use the business.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Why not start with the RSW model? I own the 45SU and the RSW. I picked up the RSW used for $1,000 US and it is my landscape camera. In my pack I have four lenses: Rodi: 65mm, 90mm f4.5, 135mm, & 180mm. Also a Horesman 6x12 pano back. Everything was purchased used except for the 6x12 since I could not find a used one. Joe Cornish at one time help designed the RSW and used it. Here is a link reviewing it. You might ask yourself why don't I just use the SU for landscape work ... well I am a 50 year-old, 5'3" petite gal that cannot handle carrying a heavy load. I love Ebonies, but I also knew when it came to landscape work, I did not want all the rear movements and extra weight. When I saw an RSW used here in the US, I jumped on it -- Glad I did!!

Just my 2 cents.

Shakes his head.........

8,000 Pounds Sterling?

I know equipment in the U.K. and E.U. in general is more expensive than here in the USA. But. You can have used gear shipped to the U.K. I have never seen, let alone used, an Ebony camera. However, aren't they light tight boxes with movements? Aren't there dozens of similar cameras around on the used market? Will a new Ebony camera make better photographs than a lightly used Canham, Chamonix, Phillips, etc., etc., etc.?

Very, very nice lenses are going for a song these days. Even allowing for the latest and greatest barely used Symmar 110XL, you could put together a primo 3 lens kit for under $2,500 USD. Add another $2,500 for a camera and all the goodies. That leaves you with a big pile of Pounds Sterling for film and transportation to make wonderful landscape photographs.

With careful shopping, omitting the 110XL for the time being, you could put together a very nice 4x5 landscape kit for under $2,000 USD. Way under if you give up a few frills and concentrate on the photography aspects of the venture. Or go hog wild and buy one of Richard Ritter's new 8x10s and an extra 4x5 reducing back. And still have a lot of money left from your 8,000 Pound budget.

Am I wrong? Please tell me I'm wrong. It doesn't feel wrong. Did I miss something?

All of that said, they are your Pounds Sterling. Enjoy!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers!

Wayne
    Last edited by venchka; 5-Jan-2009 at 10:23.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Have to agree...I don't think I've spent that much on all of the many LF cameras I've owned over the years combined.

But, to each his own I guess.