Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Used First 4x5

Buying Used First 4x5

I am new to the forum and want to get started in LF. I am looking for a used 4x5 and when I try to access the for sale forum it does not show me the listings since it is private. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a used set up? I want to shoot landscape and weight is not an issue to me. I would rather get more movements and lug around a bigger camera. Thanks all

Re: Buying Used First 4x5

From the front page:

For Sale/Wanted
    Use of this area is strictly at your own risk. This is a private area where LF Forum members may post for sale & wanted-to-buy ads for photographic items. Must be a member at least 30 days to gain access. No references to active external ads or auctions, please. Please prefix posts to indicate intent: "WTB", "FS" , "FT" (for trade), etc. No dealers, please.

There you go. Clear as mud. Read and study for a month. Buy on Feb. 1.

Good luck!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I dont ever remember saying I was not clear on why I could not access the for sale forum. I just mentioned I was new and I could not access the for sale forums because it is private to me (and everyone else who is new). Did you guys read the rest of my thread about advice on where to find a good first camera??

Venchka, Thanks, good advice. I have been studying since september and just now getting ready to buy.

You're welcome. I read it three times. I got the impression you had given up on the For Sale area here.

No worries. Be patient. Every 4x5 camera worth having and all the rest have come up for sale here in recent memory. Be ready. Know what you want. When something you want comes along, be ready to jump on it. The good stuff priced right sells in minutes.

You will also be allowed to post a Want To Buy listing. Those get good results too.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Hello and welcome aboard.
    Landscape camera where the weight doesnot matter? Hmm. It may come to whether you prefer a monorail or a field camera (go figure ). Also the budget usually also plays an important role. Maybe you could just mention a bit more where and what you want to photograph, how much do you EXPECET (in reality it is usualy more than that ) to spend on the gear and so on. Keep in mind that all the accessories will cost more than the camera alone.

For the very beginning - I would advice you to try find somebody who could offer you some hands-on experience if you did not have the chance so far. That would be the most efficient introuction for you.

Be sure to browse around - this forum is a great source of information. And - the more detailed questions you ask the betters answer you will get.
    Matus

Check KEH Camera Brokers, Midwest Photo Exchange, Badger Graphics for used gear.

See the front page on this site for reviews of various cameras.

Yeah, Just took your advice and checked out those sites. Alot of gear for sell. Tomorrow morning I am heading out with a seasoned LF shooter and he is going to give me a lesson on LF and setting up the shot. I was told I will be doing a complete shot from start to finish and taking an exposure home with me to get processed. This will really set my mind on buying a set up or not. Thanks all!

Dave Karp

Another reference for Jim Andracki at Midwest Photo Exchange. Very helpful and a nice guy.