Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two 4x5s Compared - First LF Quandary

Two 4x5s Compared - First LF Quandary

I am comparing 2 different "entry level" 4x5 cameras. I say "entry level" because I am shopping for my first LF camera after many years of 35mm SLR photography. I shoot landscapes and some architecture and want a LF camera that has movements so I can learn and apply the functions of a LF camera.

I also like the convenience of roll film and the 6x9 format so I plan to use the 4x5 with a 6x9 back also. Because I am so used to looking through a bright SLR viewfinder (and my eyes are getting tired at 54 yrs old) I would like to get a reflex viewer for my new 4x5. Without having actually seen or touched them, these are the two 4x5 cameras I am comparing:

1 - Arca Swiss Discovery in original case with 30cm rail

2 - 4x5 Cambo Legend with fresnel & revolving back, geared moves are shift and rise/fall

The Arca Swiss does cost more than the Cambo but that is a huge issue for me. I would greatly appreciate feedback from anyone who is familiar with these cameras.

Dave Karp

Re: Two 4x5s Compared - First LF Quandary

I have a Discovery. I am familiar with the Legend, and have owned three other Cambo cameras.

Both are fine cameras, but serve different purposes.

The Legend should be less expensive. Accessories are plentiful and generally less expensive than those for the ARCA. The Legend is heavier. If you were going to use it to photograph architecture and transporting it by car to various locations, it would be fine. Some Legends have both base and axis tilts. Most of them have axis tilts only.

The Discovery was ARCA's entry level camera. You will see references to 171 ARCAs. This size has been discontinued, in favor of a version of the camera with smaller frames (the part that holds the bellows, back, and lensboards). The Discovery is a 171 ARCA. It has base tilts.

The Discovery is lighter than the Legend. It was designed to be portable. The version you are asking about has a 30 cm rail. That will let you focus a 300mm non-telephoto design lens at infinity. There are other rails (expensive) that will let you use longer lenses. The best option (in my opinion) is the telescoping rail (two rail sections that slide on a bracket and lock in place). This lets you set up your camera in a more compact configuration for transport (by mounting the camera on one of the rail sections and removing it from the bracket). I have one of these and it is a great feature. Without this feature, the camera is somewhat harder to transport in a backpack. Cambo also makes a telescoping rail like this, but I can only recall seeing one of these used.

The good news is that it is easier to come by used accessories for 171 ARCAs than the newer ARCAs. The bad news is that both new and used ARCA accessories are pricey.

A good compromise between these cameras would be a Cambo 45SF. I had one, and honestly, if I did not want to make my Discovery into some crazy off-size film format, I would never have sold the 45SF. It is not as light as the Discovery, but putting together a full system of Cambo accessories for it was far easier and less expensive than doing the same for an ARCA. Don't get me wrong, I like my ARCA, but the differences between the Discovery and the 45SF are smaller than some would like to believe.

As between the Legend and the Discovery, I guess it comes down to price vs. weight. The Legend is pretty darn heavy. It was made to be a studio camera. The Discovery is much lighter. It was made to be transported out of the studio.

Either one will let you take good photos.

Octogenarian

Either one is a good choice, if you have decided on a monorail camera. Both are light enough to be carried short distances in the field, but they are non-folding, bulky cameras.

The Arca Swiss Discovery is classified as an entry level camera.

Cambo makes a light weight monocular reflex viewer that attaches directly to the groundglass frame. Sometimes it is available on the used market. A Fresnel is a must when using a reflex viewer, and you mentioned that the Cambo already has one.

Octogenarian

Hey David,you type faster than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Teven View Post
    The Arca Swiss does cost more than the Cambo but that is a huge issue for me.
    Hey Scott, you type faster than you think.

The Discovery has a better reputation on this forum, it's better built. Think of it as an entry level BMW to the Cambo being an good General Motors family sedan like a Buick (which isn't a bad car at all).

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    The version you are asking about has a 30 cm rail. That will let you focus a 300mm non-telephoto design lens at infinity. There are other rails (expensive) that will let you use longer lenses. The best option (in my opinion) is the telescoping rail (two rail sections that slide on a bracket and lock in place). This lets you set up your camera in a more compact configuration for transport (by mounting the camera on one of the rail sections and removing it from the bracket). I have one of these and it is a great feature.
    If you do get the Arca, you might think about sawing that rail in half,
    which will give you a bit more extension, as well as making the camera more portable.

That is, if it's not already in two pieces-

j

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Hey David,you type faster than I do.
    I am glad we agreed, pretty much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    The Discovery has a better reputation on this forum, it's better built. Think of it as an entry level BMW to the Cambo being an good General Motors family sedan like a Buick (which isn't a bad car at all).
    Having owned both a Cambo and a Discovery back to back, I would have to say that each was superior in some ways, and inferior in others, including build/design quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Teven View Post
    The Arca Swiss does cost more than the Cambo but that is a huge issue for me.
    Indeed, I do type faster than I think! What I MEANT to say was that the price difference between the cameras was NOT a huge issue for me.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    If you do get the Arca, you might think about sawing that rail in half,
    which will give you a bit more extension, as well as making the camera more portable.

That is, if it's not already in two pieces-

j
    Sawing the rail won't do you much good unless you have the extension bracket. You will just have two pieces of rail.

Which brings up a question: Will the Discovery rail work in the extension bracket? I don't know the answer to that.