Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your (LF) trains!

Re: Post your trains!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Davenport View Post

Spokane, Portland & Seattle #700
    Nice!

My first picture with my 5x4 Gandolfi Traditional (apart from a few back yard tests) 203mm Kodak Ektar, HP5+ developed in Retro Pyro. Scanned negative duo toned in Photoshop slightly cropped.

See some of my dads trains and trams B&W roll film yes, large format unfortunately no.
    www.londontramways.net
    www.southernrailway.net

4X5, Velvia 100F
    On top of Mt. Washington, NH

I chased CPR 2816 up the Fraser Canyon in BC once a few years back and attempted to take a few shots with my 4x5. This is one of the few that's close to being good (ie. no motion blur) In my opinion, shooting moving trains are great for a dslr, but not so good for a view camera!

That one was worth the effort.

Mike

Well, Jim, here is my train.

A mammoth plate print of a steam train in the Sierras -- at Cape Horn above the American River. By Watkins.

Just a quick digital capture while it is on my wall (and behind glass) -- keystoning due to an attempt to keep reflections to a minimim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cape Horn2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

A mammoth plate print of a steam train in the Sierras -- at Cape Horn above the American River. By Watkins.

Just a quick digital capture while it is on my wall (and behind glass) -- keystoning due to an attempt to keep reflections to a minimim.
    Holy cow. That is truly awesome. A Watkins not in a museum never crossed my mind. WOW! He must have been the original foamer

The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by SamReeves View Post
    That's almost exactly what I was trying to do a couple of weeks ago. As winner of the November contest on a local forum, I named railroads for the December contest. I was just starting to get set up when I was told to get away from the tracks by a railworker. I didn't argue. I had to settle for this as my entry:

(it won)
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

This was taken near the Ford Rouge plant in Dearborn, Michigan. The temperature was below 0 deg that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Aharonian View Post
    I chased CPR 2816 up the Fraser Canyon in BC once a few years back and attempted to take a few shots with my 4x5. This is one of the few that's close to being good (ie. no motion blur) In my opinion, shooting moving trains are great for a dslr, but not so good for a view camera!
    I totally agree. But still it's a great photo. I'm hoping to do some 4x5's of SP 2472 when it runs again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

LOL, are you showing your real age? That spot is called Cape Horn and is on the Southern Pacific "Overland Route." Union Pacific had a nasty derailment there last year, so it's a good idea to be aware of your surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    That's almost exactly what I was trying to do a couple of weeks ago. As winner of the November contest on a local forum, I named railroads for the December contest. I was just starting to get set up when I was told to get away from the tracks by a railworker. I didn't argue. I had to settle for this as my entry:

(it won)
    I agree, it is a winner. I really like the texture of the snow between the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by David E. Rose View Post
    This was taken near the Ford Rouge plant in Dearborn, Michigan. The temperature was below 0 deg that day.
    Very appropriate given the hard times Ford is on. Those boxcars look like they have seen better days.

Nice work gents!