Page 883 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 3837838338738818828838848858939339831383 ... LastLast
Results 8,821 to 8,830 of 17143

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

This is the first 5x4 frame I've managed to get from camera to scanner without any handling or exposure issues. After shutter woes and uneven developing I'm happy enough that I've got an image. What I seem to have done is messed it up rather nicely in camera, as is good and proper!

The left side of the frame is oof, I think this is due to the standards not being parallel but if someone could confirm that I'd appreciate it.

Harlaw Reservoir Shore 5x4
    by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

Landscape Addict

One from the weekend... The weather is getting pretty chilly here... it was 6°C at 0730 when I exposed this..

045N-2 + 210 f/5.6
    1/4sec @ f/16
    4x5 Fomapan 100 @ 100 (Cropped 6x12)
    Rodinal 1:100, 60min, No Agitation.

"Rising Mist"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10380427_792044487512811_4853604174427173876_o.jpg  
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Thank you Alex. No print yet, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    This is the first 5x4 frame I've managed to get from camera to scanner without any handling or exposure issues. After shutter woes and uneven developing I'm happy enough that I've got an image. What I seem to have done is messed it up rather nicely in camera, as is good and proper!

The left side of the frame is oof, I think this is due to the standards not being parallel but if someone could confirm that I'd appreciate it.

Harlaw Reservoir Shore 5x4
    by steveo_mcg, on Flickr
    Hi Stevo

I'm not sure out of focus left to right is always mis-aligned standards - but its a very good bet.

One of the easiest ways I use to check that the front and rear are parallel is to put the back of the camera back flat down on a horizontal surface and then check the front standard with a spirit level.

The difference between good and just off can be tiny.

Hope this helps

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    ...The left side of the frame is oof, I think this is due to the standards not being parallel but if someone could confirm that I'd appreciate it...
    Steveo, if you're fortunate enough to have access to a Versalab Parallel (normally used for enlarger alignment), it can also be used to very accurately confirm mis-aligned standards. I did this with my 8x10 Sinar Norma. Place the camera on a tabletop, resting on its rear standard, remove the lensboard and carefully place the laser device on the lens side of the groundglass and turn it on, then place one of the Versalab's glass reflectors across the front standard opening (or better, if you have a lensboard with the lens removed, place the reflector across the lens opening). You will see immediately any mis-alignment, as the reflected laser beam will not be centered on the laser source's cross-hairs.

This procedure is made a little easier if your bellows can be removed, as with my Sinar. That allowed me to mount the camera on a tripod and manually hold the laser device against the gg with one hand and hold the reflector in place (without flexing it) with the other hand.

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    Mount St. Helens
    Marvelous mid-tones on that one, Austin. It looks alive.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Marvelous mid-tones on that one, Austin. It looks alive.

- Leigh
    That mountain IS alive Leigh. Seriously, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Hi Stevo

I'm not sure out of focus left to right is always mis-aligned standards - but its a very good bet.

One of the easiest ways I use to check that the front and rear are parallel is to put the back of the camera back flat down on a horizontal surface and then check the front standard with a spirit level.

The difference between good and just off can be tiny.

Hope this helps

Martin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Steveo, if you're fortunate enough to have access to a Versalab Parallel (normally used for enlarger alignment), it can also be used to very accurately confirm mis-aligned standards. I did this with my 8x10 Sinar Norma. Place the camera on a tabletop, resting on its rear standard, remove the lensboard and carefully place the laser device on the lens side of the groundglass and turn it on, then place one of the Versalab's glass reflectors across the front standard opening (or better, if you have a lensboard with the lens removed, place the reflector across the lens opening). You will see immediately any mis-alignment, as the reflected laser beam will not be centered on the laser source's cross-hairs.

This procedure is made a little easier if your bellows can be removed, as with my Sinar. That allowed me to mount the camera on a tripod and manually hold the laser device against the gg with one hand and hold the reflector in place (without flexing it) with the other hand.
    Cheers guys, I've no fancy gear so I'll just have to try and lay the standards with out the bellows and see. I've shot another couple of frames last night so I'll get them in the soup and see how they've turned out.

This was shot at the end of May in Tatra Mountains, Poland:

Zielony Staw by JaZ99wro, on Flickr

Graflex 4x5
    Fujinon 105mm
    CDU II + 85A filter