Page 540 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 4044049053053853954054154255059064010401540 ... LastLast
Results 5,391 to 5,400 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Are really two Chimney Rocks in SW Colorado? I was not aware of that. I'd like to know. See this map of where the Anasazi one is. Also the Ute reservation is full of Anasazi ruins. Chimney Rock is one of the furtherest north Chaco Outliers (Lowry and Escalante are actually further north)
    Hi Kirk and Erik,

This Chimney Rock is further north and west, on Owl Creek Pass, which connects Ridgeway with Cimarron (East of Montrose). See here: http://www.myfjcruiser.org/2061/owl-creek-pass/

It is a magnificent road for fall colors, as is the Last Dollar Road from Ridgeway to Telluride.

The climate here is too harsh to sustain rain-fed corn agriculture. Utes migrated into Colorado's mountainous regions and adapted with hunter-gatherer lifestyles. They also migrated further south, where they adapted to the horse and Spanish-Puebloan culture. Hunting parties would collect bison for exchange at Taos' trade fairs. I read somewhere that Taosenos remember a battle in which they trapped the Utes on the plain outside their Pueblo, and then forced them over the cliff, into the Rio Grande.

When mining in CO intensified, the Utes were progressively pushed out of the mountains, into SE Colorado, where their reservations, and some amazing Ancestral Puebloan sites, are today.

As for the Anasazi Chimney Rock, I sure would love to photograph that someday. I don't know what kind of access you can get.
    Peter Y.

Not sure of this is really a landscape but I would love your comments and suggestions.

Porch Chairs by JBelthoff, on Flickr

Thanks,

--JB
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    John Belthoff
    Black & White Film Photographer
    http://www.customfilmworks.com/

Nice feeling of light, well done. Don't know if you noticed that the chair on the left is in dire need of a front end alignment.

I like this a lot, John. Great patterns and colors in the grasses.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmsanderson View Post
    grass and dying trees, Napeague

RVP 50, 300mm

Wonderful sense of mystery and excellent image.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Greutmann View Post
    Got back last week from a 3 week trip to Norway, and I had my first run at developing and scanning today, with many runs still to go. Beautiful country and awesome scenery.

This is a first: Morning fog at Lustrafjord

Linhof Master Technika with Grandagon 90mm, TMAX 400 developed in XTOL 1:1, Rotary development in Jobo drums

Quote Originally Posted by JBelthoff View Post
    Not sure of this is really a landscape but I would love your comments and suggestions.

Thanks,

--JB
    When in doubt.. use search
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landscape_art

So nope, it isnt landscape.

The Chimney Rock in your photos, Kirk, is the one located off of SR 151 (13 miles west of Pagosa Springs) about 5 miles south of US 160 . As I have traveled around the west I find that Chimney Rocks, names and formations, are pretty common.

Yes, Peter, the Anasazi one is open to guided tours. They keep hours throughout the summer and some in fall and spring. It is a healthy uphill hike from the parking area. For additional information try the Chimney Rock Interpretive Association. Pagosa Springs office is 970 731-6278 and the Arboles office is 970 883-5359.
    al

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Are really two Chimney Rocks in SW Colorado? I was not aware of that. I'd like to know. See this map of where the Anasazi one is. Also the Ute reservation is full of Anasazi ruins. Chimney Rock is one of the furtherest north Chaco Outliers (Lowry and Escalante are actually further north):

http://www.chimneyrockco.org/images/map.gif
    I am not familiar with the Escalante ruins, Kirk, but the Hovenweep Ruins, several sites, straddle the Utah-Colorado border. The Lowry Ruin (they built a roof over the site so it is not very photogenic) lies just a few miles north of Hovenweep. These ruins are more directly west of the Chimney Rock on SR 151, i.e. west and a little north of Cortez.

I am including an infrared photo (MACO with Linhof IV and Schneider 150mm) of the Holly Ruins that are part of Hovenweep.

al

Thanks Al. I just did (this spring) a visiting artist gig at Canyon of the Ancients and photographed extensively at Lowry, Sand Canyon, Hovenweep, Painted Hand etc.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Al, thanks for the info! Chimney Rock is now one more item on the to do list. That infrared is stunning.

Kirk, what are your impressions of Sand Canyon? I've been thinking of backpacking into that one.

So far, Chaco and Coomb Ridge/Cedar Mesa are the most impressive areas I have seen. I wish I could see them all, but I don't think I'll be able to in one lifetime.

Best,
    Peter
    Peter Y.