Page 333 of 1714 FirstFirst ... 2332833233313323333343353433834338331333 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,330 of 17135

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

What I'm about to say is purely opinion. Additionally, I'd like to thank Ken for stepping up and discussing aesthetics with contributors to the image forum, even though I'm about to disagree with him. It would be easy as a moderator to limit oneself to refereeing things like the never-ending debate about what constitutes large format!

I also prefer the first version. I think it agrees with the subject in two ways. First, the light in a place like Joshua Tree IS harsh and contrasty, even with the ability of our eyes and brains to process scenes with high dynamic range. The subject matter is also very hard and unyielding. Because of these two things, I think that the first versio is more true to the subject and its geographical location.

Thanks - I think there's a lot more room here for discussion about aesthetics. After all, we choose Large Format tools largely because of the beauty and fidelity of the images they can produce. So while equipment is an important part of the chain, the end of the chain is often aesthetics.

With a calibrated system, discussing the subtleties of prints over the web is certainly doable. That will certainly spur some to disagree

Yeah, I prefer the first version too. The tones are just more lively without going to far.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Great photograph ElRooster. I like the one with greater contrast better, but they are both very good.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hedley View Post
    Grimsel pass

Sinar F, Schneider 180mm, Ilford Delta 100 / PMK Pyro
    Love it! I want to go for a drive right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Perhaps it's a monitor issue (I'm at work) but I think this is an excellent image - except that the contrast is a bit excessive for my personal taste.

I would love to see a version with greater detail in the clouds and shadows. Not an easy task of course. What are you doing to control contrast ?
    I'm surprised that Ken finds it too contrasty, I find the first version a little too flat. And the second version only makes it flatter (and worse IMHO). It's such a fine photograph I took the liberty of seeing how I would have printed it if I had been good enough to make the photograph in the first place and this is what I came up with. Which certainly isn't to say that this is right or better, just that it is how I would have done it (ignore the sloppy sky, this was done in about ten minutes, if I were making a print I'd spend a good bit more time on the sky).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks very much for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    Wow! Beautiful! I'd love to have one of these
    I think it might make it into my next book, which is not too far from completion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    Nice shot,,, check out that figure in the water down on the right and to the far bank..

Blow that up and see what it is ! I think you might have got a Sasquach washing his hands..!
    LOL - I hadn't seen that before!

Quote Originally Posted by SamReeves View Post
    Love it! I want to go for a drive right now.
    In one day, you can drive through at least five wonderful high passes - Gotthard, Nufenen, Grimsel, Susten and Furka, all of which offer different landscape, lakes, mountains and glaciers. They are open only in the summer, and are a favourite of bikers from all over Europe. I took these last weekend (Ascension Day holiday) and next Monday is another public holiday so we might head down to that area again for some more hiking and driving.

Downstairs

David, High standard every post!

Thumbs up Re: Large Format Landscapes

Thank you for the comments and compliments. I think I will try to print the arch a little darker and bring out more detail in the rocks below and compare. I have been calling this picture "Elephant Rock" but I think it is just named Archrock in Joshua Tree.
    It's true that the desert light is harsh but I also believe that within our technique we can achieve better tones. It's interesting to see different views on the image and even a different way to print it. I feel like I was in a classroom again, Mr. Lee's photo 101!

Near Gull Rock, Monhegan, Maine

David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...