Page 1073 of 1714 FirstFirst ... 7357397310231063107110721073107410751083112311731573 ... LastLast
Results 10,721 to 10,730 of 17135

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Japan Exposures

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Rhein bei Oberwinter

Rhine landscape "Sander style", Kodak TMax 100, Rodinal, Fujinon 180/5.6

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    May I ask where this was taken, Dirk? The composition and the rendering of the sky remind me of some of the mid-19th century romantic landscape painting of the Swiss landscape.

Here's one from early April, from the Swiss Aletsch area;

Finsteraarhorn and the Fieschergletscher

Sinar F, Schneider 180mm, Fuji Acros / Xtol 1:1

Quote Originally Posted by David Hedley View Post
    May I ask where this was taken, Dirk? The composition and the rendering of the sky remind me of some of the mid-19th century romantic landscape painting of the Swiss landscape.

Wow lovely control of contrast in this, how did you get the whites so nice while bringing up the stone on the mountain so well? Excellent!

Orange or red filter plus good choice of film and developer plus excellent control of exposure and development plus excellent scanning and/or printing techniques. Everything put together there is a very long and straight gamma curve minimizing compression all the way from Z III to Z VIII or IX. Printed on fixed grade 3 paper is my guess... or post processing is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post

Rhein bei Oberwinter

This is lovely and quite Sanderish, indeed. But I'm afraid that most people here are little familiar with August Sander's "Rheinlandschaften" or basically most of his work. What a pity.

Peter
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Wow, what an impressive mountain view! May I ask from where you took this? Somewhere close to the station at Jungfraujoch maybe?

Peter
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

This one is not much about the landscape, but I could not decide on a better category for it.

Shot with Chamonix 5×8" large format camera and Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 210mm f:4,5 lens on 13×18cm sheet of Fomapan 100. Developed in R09 (Rodinal). Full frame.
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Wow lovely control of contrast in this, how did you get the whites so nice while bringing up the stone on the mountain so well? Excellent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Orange or red filter plus good choice of film and developer plus excellent control of exposure and development plus excellent scanning and/or printing techniques. Everything put together there is a very long and straight gamma curve minimizing compression all the way from Z III to Z VIII or IX. Printed on fixed grade 3 paper is my guess... or post processing is very good.
    Hi Stone and Old-N-Feeble; thanks for the kind words. Normally I use the Zone system pretty much as Adams recommends, but the key thing for me is not to compress the tonal curve too much, otherwise everything seems (to me) to head towards a muddy grey middle ground. In high contrast situations like this scene, where there is full sun on snow, I’m probably putting ‘N’ a maximum of 1 1/3 stops below Zone IX. Development is normal, and I’m therefore relying on the film to handle the shadows. This is almost the reverse of the normal advice of ‘expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights’, but it seems to work well with both Fuji Acros and Ilford Delta 100, perhaps because they do offer a longer curve. I’m rating these films at either EI64 or EI80, depending on the contrast in the scene, and varying the development time a little as well, depending on the EI.

I used Ilford Delta 100 & PMK Pyro for several years – I think the pyro stain also helps contain the highlights within a full tonal curve – but I can’t find supplies of this developer in Europe any longer (neither Silverprint nor Lotus carry it). I began to try Acros with Xtol 1:1, and have been really impressed so far. Any experience and guidance on either Acros or Xtol would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Yeti View Post
    Wow, what an impressive mountain view! May I ask from where you took this? Somewhere close to the station at Jungfraujoch maybe?

Peter
    Thanks Peter. This is over on the other side of the Bernese Oberland, from Eggishorn in the Aletsch area. I think there is a fairly challenging ski-trek to bring you over the back of the Bernese Oberland (either down from the Jungfraujoch towards Aletsch, past the Konkordiahütte, or in the opposite direction), but you need experience of cross-country skiing on glaciers for that.

Japan Exposures

Hi, thanks for looking and commenting.

I was wrong with Oberwinter (GPS in my 5x7 can be unrealiable ) - actually it was taken at the small harbour of Brohl-Lützing. It was a very misty day, not uncommon in the valleys of the Rhine. The light can be spectacular in those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Yeti View Post
    This is lovely and quite Sanderish, indeed. But I'm afraid that most people here are little familiar with August Sander's "Rheinlandschaften" or basically most of his work. What a pity.
    Hi Peter, a few people, like yourself, will be familiar, that's all that matters. Many thanks for the comment, much appreciated!

Dirk

Sinar F - Rodenstock Grandagon N 90 6.8 - Kodak Tmax 400 - Kodak HC-110 dil E. (1+47) - Yellow Filter

Tino's Island view from Palmaria Island
    "5 Terre" Natural Reserve
    Liguria - Italy

Isola del Tino by Matteo Lazzerini, on Flickr

Matteo