Page 987 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 487887937977985986987988989997103710871487 ... LastLast
Results 9,861 to 9,870 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

That second one is very strong. Almost abstract with that reflection. The light gives a nice sense of space.
    A puny body weakens the soul.
    Paul Cezanne

Excellent photos!!! I love Zion!
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Kevin Kolosky

Quote Originally Posted by skiers4life View Post
    I recently returned from my second trip to Zion National Park and my first exclusively shooting film. My goal for the trip was one good image from the Narrows, and I believe I accomplished that. Thanks for looking!

90mm, f/45, 2:30 Fuji Velvia 50, polarizer

180mm, f/45, 3:32 Fuji Velvia 50, polarizer

90mm, f/45, 3:32 Kodak Ektar 100, polarizer
    While I like the subject matter very much, the results of the rather slow shutter speed are, to me, distracting. It doesn't look like "water in a stream" to me. Maybe what is was your intention, and if so that is fine. Its your art and it should be what you wanted it to be. But if it were me standing there I would have used a bit faster shutter speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    But if it were me standing there I would have used a bit faster shutter speed.
    You might not have been able to. Between the film speed, polarizer, being in a dark canyon and desiring an in-focus image front-to-back, thee shutter speed probably had to be pretty slow.

alef_fela, that second one is outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by alef_fela View Post

Linhof Technika III, Symmar-S 210mm f/5.6, expired (2003) Agfa APX @ 50 ISO, 16 min @ 20 C in Rodinal 1+50
    Very well seen and captured. I like the abstractness which shows shapes and tones nicely.

Alan Brock

Thanks for the kind words everyone! They are very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    While I like the subject matter very much, the results of the rather slow shutter speed are, to me, distracting. It doesn't look like "water in a stream" to me. Maybe what is was your intention, and if so that is fine. Its your art and it should be what you wanted it to be. But if it were me standing there I would have used a bit faster shutter speed.
    I had no choice on the shutter speed. It's extremely dark in most areas of the Narrows and when you combine that with a polarizer, large depth of field, slow film speed, and reciprocity, you get water with no details. I don't mind the look, but it is what most people comment on when I show images. I hear a lot that I should choose a faster shutter, but it's not possible with most things that I shoot.

McCoy

I had no choice on the shutter speed. It's extremely dark in most areas of the Narrows and when you combine that with a polarizer, large depth of field, slow film speed, and reciprocity, you get water with no details. I don't mind the look, but it is what most people comment on when I show images. I hear a lot that I should choose a faster shutter, but it's not possible with most things that I shoot.
    I like it. To me it gives a dreamy look and, even though we have all used this technique, it still seperates the work from the casual, 'I can shoot it until I get it right', digital shooters. Just my thoughts.
    - McCoy

Kevin Kolosky

While I abhor the use of digital imaging to change whats really there, I think in this case it might be a good thing to just try it if you ever get back to those spots again. You could shoot two negatives, one for the background, and one for the stream, and photoshop the stream into the background. You really wouldn't be changing what isn't there, but instead would be correcting an almost insurmountable technical problem.

Another things one could do would be to use an even wider angle lens, which would provide greater depth of field, and then crop the transparency and enlarge it, to get back to where you wanted to be in the first place.

Lots of work, yes. But for beautiful photographs like yours, it might be worth it.

Thomas

I think it is a matter of personal preference. To me that water adds that little special something to the look, and I wouldn't change it. When I first saw the images I thought it was all planned that way, and planned well.

Greetings, Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by alef_fela View Post

Linhof Technika III, Symmar-S 210mm f/5.6, expired (2003) Agfa APX @ 50 ISO, 16 min @ 20 C in Rodinal 1+50
    Excellent. Great depth to this one and it plays quite a trick with the eye. Beautifully seen and captured.