Page 1365 of 1714 FirstFirst ... 36586512651315135513631364136513661367137514151465 ... LastLast
Results 13,641 to 13,650 of 17135

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Green Lake - Sierra Nevada, California.

Scan of an old work print I ran across yesterday. This was taken in the early morning shortly after which it began to hail followed by snowfall. Toyo 45cf.

Thomas
    Last edited by tgtaylor; 14-Nov-2018 at 10:22.

Third Falls on Canada Creek
    Korona/Deardorff 8x20, 305mm G-Claron (dagor), HP5+ dev'd in HC-110 1:63

My wife and I hiked this somewhat arduous trail to a very remote waterfall in north GA. This is a new favorite spot and I had just shot this scene on 4x5 and medium format and wanted to give ULF a shot at this falls. The water level was higher than the last time I was here and a rock-hop over the creek downstream (see photo above on the first post of this page) turned into an actual creek-crossing in very frigid water on a very cold day. Wife was nonplussed but it was worth the trip. This waterfall is almost unknown and I hope to keep it that way...though publishing these images and showing them at my local gallery space / festivals, that might not happen!

I am curious if anyone has a comment on which they like better - the 4x5 comp above or the pano comp here.

Also snagged a shot of my setup while I waited for the light to change:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I like the Pano comp better. And I'd love to see those falls one day, but I won't tell anybody about them

Bryan: I usually gravitate towards the pano versions, and so I do prefer the ULF version of the falls to the 4x5. OTH, I really like the 4x5 version of the foam pool and falls, because it is a unique vision, while straight waterfall photos are relatively common, although I find yours particularly well done.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I like the Pano comp better. And I'd love to see those falls one day, but I won't tell anybody about them
    Me too! I find myself drawn more and more to the pano format in all its iterations. I even find myself ‘pano-izing’ some images here, (in my mind only of course).
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Thanks for the comments guys! The foam pool might be a good companion image. I do like to have multiple views of the same place sometimes. Last art festival I had a lady buy 3 pieces and she wanted them to be of the same place or a similar subject. I was of course happy to oblige and she went home with two shots from the same park in south GA and one similar image from FL...

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    And I'd love to see those falls one day, but I won't tell anybody about them
    You should join our LF group! If you do the Facebook thing, we post meetups and images there, message me if you'd like to join.

[QUOTE=Corran;1469673]Third Falls on Canada Creek
    Korona/Deardorff 8x20, 305mm G-Claron (dagor), HP5+ dev'd in HC-110 1:63

I am curious if anyone has a comment on which they like better - the 4x5 comp above or the pano comp here.

Viewing it on a monitor, I like the 4 by 5 version better, and cropped to leave the upper-left 2/3rds of the image. But I would imagine the pano version, enlarged to a big print and on a wall, if it had good detail etc., would be a better choice. The viewer would have a feeling they were in the scene, rather than looking at it.

I really like the woodsy scenes you post. I used to live in the Adirondacks, and loved the thick woods and rocky streams there, and your images remind me of that region's forests.

Thanks mmerig. The 3 folks above you like the pano version, but since it's an 8x20 image it can't be "enlarged." But 8x20 inches is still pretty big as-is. Will try printing both probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys! The foam pool might be a good companion image. I do like to have multiple views of the same place sometimes. Last art festival I had a lady buy 3 pieces and she wanted them to be of the same place or a similar subject. I was of course happy to oblige and she went home with two shots from the same park in south GA and one similar image from FL...

You should join our LF group! If you do the Facebook thing, we post meetups and images there, message me if you'd like to join.

I don't do facebook. I'm on IG though. I'd love to join you guys sometime.

Massachusetts, November 2018
    Homage to Hasegawa Tōhaku
    Sinar P, 150mm Rodenstock APO Sironar-S
    4x5 FP4+, D-23
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 23-Nov-2018 at 13:47.