Page 907 of 1714 FirstFirst ... 40780785789790590690790890991795710071407 ... LastLast
Results 9,061 to 9,070 of 17135

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Very nice Alex!

Here another difficult Velvia shot. But I have to admit: Ektar comes nowhere close. Shot it in the same situation. The Velvia challenges the Scanner to its maximum

Tachihara 4x5, Velvia 50, 75mm, Drumscanner:

Bornholm 7 von sdzsdz auf Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by alexn View Post
    I've been obsessing for a year or two, searching for a jetty with a strong underside... Clean, bold, symmetrical.

On a family holiday during the week I found exactly what I had been hoping for.

For this image, knowing exactly what I wanted to achieve, I was relentless under the dark cloth, I moved the tripod time and time again to get everything lined up just as I wanted it. I spent more time looking at the ground glass for this particular image than I ever have on any other image I've made with large format. Once I had my symmetry and focus nailed I metered a couple of times to be sure I'd get what I wanted and once I was finally happy, after implementing two grad filters to bring the tones down to where I wanted them. I exposed my sheet of Fomapan 100. This was the last sheet of 6 that I took on my trip... I had one shot to get it right. One shot to make the image I had been hoping to make for nearly a year... I am very happy to say I think I pulled it off...

Really interested on hearing some constructive criticisms on this please everyone. I am very happy with this, and consider it perhaps my best B/W neg to date.

"Strength"

Fomapan 100 @ 100
    Chamonix 045N-2
    210mm f/5.6
    40sec @ f/32
    Dev: Rodinal 1:100, 50min, No Agitation, 20°C
    Beauty, Alex!!!! I love it.

I use the old 50, new 50 and 100. I find 100 more forgiving, the old 50 has the best reds, new 50 has the best greens and all of them have too much contrast for a lot of different situations (for the way I shoot) I have a few mates and know of a hell of a lot of people who shoot velvia and just make it sing, for me, I need a couple of extra stops in harsh light to make an image worth showing.. I love velvia, in all its speeds (except 100F, if I wanted to shoot 100F I'd shoot Provia) but it is definitely not my first choice for a landscape film. WHEN the lighting is right for it, nothing else comes close....
    Gorgeous! Be very proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Goldman View Post
    Beauty, Alex!!!! I love it.
    Agreed. Your set-up time shows.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

I've been obsessing for a year or two, searching for a jetty with a strong underside... Clean, bold, symmetrical.

For this image, knowing exactly what I wanted to achieve, I was relentless under the dark cloth, I moved the tripod time and time again to get everything lined up just as I wanted it. I spent more time looking at the ground glass for this particular image than I ever have on any other image I've made with large format. Once I had my symmetry and focus nailed I metered a couple of times to be sure I'd get what I wanted and once I was finally happy, after implementing two grad filters to bring the tones down to where I wanted them. I exposed my sheet of Fomapan 100. This was the last sheet of 6 that I took on my trip... I had one shot to get it right. One shot to make the image I had been hoping to make for nearly a year... I am very happy to say I think I pulled it off...

Really interested on hearing some constructive criticisms on this please everyone. I am very happy with this, and consider it perhaps my best B/W neg to date.

"Strength"

Fomapan 100 @ 100
    Chamonix 045N-2
    210mm f/5.6
    40sec @ f/32
    Hi Alex , I would be happy with this for sure, Excellent work ,It's great when something you see in your minds eye comes together,My only minor nit is the hand rail holders at the very top both sides , But without photoshop trickery impossible to leave out . Cheers Gary

Landscape Addict

Thanks everyone! It means a lot to me to hear it's not just my connection to the image telling me its a good one

Peter Mounier - I used 2 ND Grads for the image, a 2 stop soft edge from the bottom up to add depth to the shadow reflections in the water, you can vaguely see the bottoms of the first pillars are darker than the tops of them.. The other was a 1 stop soft edge grad coming in from the top right hand side of the image, as the jetty is North facing, the sun was rising to the right hand side of the image, I needed the 1 stop soft grad to ensure the sky would appear uniform across the image.

Harley - I appreciate the comment, I have a lot of love for your work!

ndg - Thanks, I am!

Jim Cole - I think I finally understand what people have been telling me this past couple of years since I started shooting LF... "Take your time, Slow down..." this is the first time I have literally sat underneath the dark cloth just looking at the ground glass.. as if I was looking at the final print. Assessing the image, the balance, the sharpness.. Its also the first time that I've pulled a negative from the developing drum and not been surprised by something in the composition that I'd missed, or an element that was not where I'd hoped it would be... it came out looking exactly as I had wanted it to because I actually took the time to make sure it was what I wanted before firing the shutter... Its a good lesson learnt I think.

Gary - Thanks mate. You're the second person to bring up those posts, and to be honest, they didn't bother me when I was composing the shot, but now that its been mentioned twice I almost feel like I should clone them out in photoshop... I don't think I will just yet but when I get a print made of this I will definitely consider printing it without those posts...
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Quote Originally Posted by sdzsdz View Post
    Here another difficult Velvia shot. But I have to admit: Ektar comes nowhere close. Shot it in the same situation. The Velvia challenges the Scanner to its maximum

Tachihara 4x5, Velvia 50, 75mm, Drumscanner:
    Yeah, that's some fine Velvia colors.
    Personally, I feel like maybe the scanner was challenged because it seems underexposed? Of course I can't see the original transparency but that's just my feeling from looking at this.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

"Strength"

Fomapan 100 @ 100
    Chamonix 045N-2
    210mm f/5.6
    40sec @ f/32
    Ooh, I really like that. I am a sucker for long exposure photography though. Very well done!

This was the first photo taken with my new (to me) Zone VI 4x5 camera. I rushed out to a local lake after unpacking it, anxious to try it out "in the field".

This is somewhat of a hybrid photo as it was scanned into the computer and worked on in photoshop a little. I think, with some practice, and a little luck I could achieve something similar in the darkroom, using toners and some burning/dodging and contrast papers.

Shot using a Nikkor SW 180mm F5.6 lens on Fomapan 200 at ISO 160 through a red filter. Processed in Rodinal at 50:1 for 8 minutes.

An-Evening-by-the-Lake by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

hacker extraordinaire

"Strength"

Fomapan 100 @ 100
    Chamonix 045N-2
    210mm f/5.6
    40sec @ f/32
    The edge effects of the Rodinal stand development are conspicuous here, sucj as around the pillars. It is a bold image so it works ok here.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.