Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General LF Accessories...Focusing cloth, loupe, etc.

Re: General LF Accessories...Focusing cloth, loupe, etc.

If you buy the cheap plastic film holders on eBay, remember that someone may have been getting rid of them because of light leaks. You can test them at least two ways. You can wait for the leaks to show up on that really important picture that has now gone bad or you can try test #2 and discard the junk. I loaded mine, waited for a really bright day, laid them out in the sun for 1/2 an hour, trying both sides up for 15 minutes, numbered the film holders, then shot a white sheet of paper with the same number on it in the really bright sun. The film holders that past that test have worked very well with normal protection.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    If you buy the cheap plastic film holders on eBay, remember that someone may have been getting rid of them because of light leaks.
    Beware, the same is no less true for expensive wood/metal film holders...

Sevo

Dear Forum,

I'm just about to start in LF indoor portraits, and have the material, but no pattern, to make a dark focusing cloth. I've seen advice on buying (but am a student) and using T shirts etc, but my wife is keen to sew one up for me- can you recommend a pattern or directions I can access online? Many thanks,

A pattern would be like a receipe for hard boiled eggs -)

I've got an old red dark cloth that came with a studio camera. It's got a gold fringe around it's edge. That's about it.

Other then size not much else to worry about for indoor use. Outdoors you've got sunlight bouncing from every direction. So something that wraps around the camera is better. Maybe an elastic on the camera end?

Brain

I just measured my dark cloth @ 4x4' square and that proves to be plenty for a 4x5 camera. Its a shop bought ''Phago'' Focusing Cloth. All it is, is two 4x4' pieces of cotton cloth one black piece and one red piece sewn back to back to give you, yes you've guest it...one red side and one black side, its red to make you more attractive to any oncoming hazards like angry Bulls in fields ect ect... in my case I work with the black side oot, but then I live in a part of the world where its freezing on a good day! If you want to go further, you can sew elastic down one side of the cloth and then sew the two corners together to form a Kilt/skirt like garment...its just like the waistband on an old pair of elasticated knickers at one end of the cloth;-) You can then fit the elasticated end all the way around the back of your camera when focusing...dont make the waistband to tight mind, you must be careful not to let the elastic slip forward and mangle your bellows...ouch It also doubles as a warm cape for cold weather or even the odd late evening trip to Pennsylvania;-) I've found the addition of a small strip of Velcro stuck to both the top of the camera back and the inside of the waistband of the dark cloth a great addition, it keeps it securely in place and works like a charm!

Dear Kev & Nick,
    Thanks for the advice! I too live in perishingly cold Scotland, and the idea of a focusing cloth that doubles as a cape is most interesting. For portrait work I guess I could put some more decorative (perhaps warmer) material on the other side, keep the victim occupied. i've just joined this forum so will probably have lots of questions as I'm a complete beginner- many thanks again, B.

I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread, but the opportunity for some light hearted banter with my soon-to-be independent neighbours is too much to bear.

All you Scotsmen and women have the perfect dark cloth; yer kilt! Heavy-weight tartan would be perfect at blocking the light out. You might have to wear something else underneath, for a change, unless you're happy to stand naked and exposed from the waist down whilst you take the shot.

Thankfully we have boxes and boxes of material at home so I'm going to make myself a more conventional darkcloth this weekend. I might adorn it with some bits and pieces from the scraps box, depending on how I feel

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Liddiard View Post
    All you Scotsmen and women have the perfect dark cloth; yer kilt!
    Gandolfi, this is your photo area, isn't it?

Simon, your post bring to mind Utilikilts, from my neck of the woods. I'm sure they could create something to accommodate LF photographers.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Brilliant! Tactical kilts!

Thanks for the link Brian

Though I didn't see it mentioned (may have just missed it) don't forget that you will need a tripod of adequate strength to hold a large camera. Frankly, I use tripods that are suitable for 8x10 cameras even though I work with only 4x5 and smaller cameras.