Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Kardan Suoer Color

Backpacking Kardan Suoer Color

I bought a beautiful Kardan Super Color from Ari a while ago and have been trying to come up with a carrying solution. Some would argue that this is not the sort of camera for field work, and I'm inclined to agree, but couldn't resist it. After several months trying to adapt a wheeled suitcase with shoulder strap, I'm about to admit defeat. The whole caboodle, with tripod, weighs 16 kg/40 lb.; imagine what that does to the nerves of the shoulder just standing with it for 10 min., let alone hiking with the damn thing!

I've thought of a proper back pack like the Redwing, with internal cases for lenses etc from Photobackpacker to do the job properly, but there is the problem of what to do with the rail. I had the idea to try and find a rail and cut it down to make a short carrying rail like on the Sinar P or Kardan Color (the Technika-type version), but because of the design of the standards the whole thing still ends up about 9" thick. It was designed for studio use and not meant for backpacking, of course.

There are two other alternatives: i) remove the bellows and rotate the standards so that the whole thing is flat and would fit in an atache case; ii) suspend the camera by its rail upside-down in a deep case, with other gear packed underneath (I did this with a Toyo 810G years ago). I'd still like a backpack solution though, because I'm not getting any younger and understand as the result of this exercise how important it is to have heavy weights like this evenly distributed across hips and shoulders.

I'm wondering if anyone has solved this type of problem successfully, or if there are any good ideas out there.

Many thanks,

Barry.

Re: Backpacking Kardan Suoer Color

Considering that a backpacker with modern equipment can easily do a multi-day trip with a 40 lb pack I would say that is to heavy for just a camera setup. However if you are intent on using the camera 40 lb is perfectly doable with a good pack and a waist belt. I would bet you could put the whole thing in a large backpacking back, rail and all. You'd just have to find a way to pad everything properly. If the rail comes off easily you can always strap it to the back off the pack as well.

jadphoto

How long is the rail? Does Linhof make a short rail/extension for your camera.
    I'm carrying a Sinar F1 in one of Bruce's modified Kelty Redwings (3100). The camera sits in the bottom, in a cradle that Bruce designed, and the 12 inch rail sticks up, six inch extension rides in side pocket. Plenty of room. If you haven't already, you might investigate reducing the weight of the bits and pieces. My Sinar is about 7 pounds, I would think the Linhof is not too much more than that. But I'm not that familiar with the Linhof monorails.
    I was able to shed several pounds by carefully selecting my accessory items. I am a real believer in a monorail as a field camera. Although I admit that I no longer do any multi-day backpacking. Three or four miles from the van is about it for me.
    I like the modified Kelty so much I bought a second one (2400) and a Domke insert for my digital gear. Beats any other "Photo" pack I have ever owned.
    JD

I backpack a SINAR Norma for several miles at at time. I love the versatility of the monorail in the field. My key to success is DECONSTRUCTION. The SINAR norma is a modular camera, and is transported in either my Osprey Atmos 35 or Keltey Redwing. I am 5'11" tall, so both backpacks are size large. The Norma breaks down into seven basic parts:
    -Rail clamp, which stays on the tripod head
    -12" rail, I carry a 6" extension if required
    -bellows
    -front standard
    -rear standard
    -rail caps x 2
    I find that with practice, I have been able to set up or break down this camera in about two minutes, or just slightly longer than it takes to set up my Wisner 4x5 traditional.

jadphoto

I've looked at photos of the Kardan Super Color, and it looks like it should backpack just fine.

As jwanerman mentions, taking it down is an option, and not all that time consuming with some practice.

Many monorail users will disconnect the bellows, turn the standards parallel to the rail and carry the camera flat. Placing the bellows and body into separate plastic bags minimizes any dust issues.

With my Photo Backpacker "cradle" I just move both standards and the tripod block to one end of the rail. The cradle holds the standards while the rail projects up into the pack. There are straps, two on mine, that keep the camera secure while the sides of the cradle protect the lens and ground glass. There are photos on Bruce's web site.

Carrying the camera this way allows me to set up in less time than when I was shooting with a folding field camera as it's always ready to go directly onto the tripod.

But to be honest, an extra minute or two getting the camera set up is not much considering just how slow I am with the view camera anyway. But it sure "feels" like a lot when I've happened on to the "sweet light".

JD

Barry, I'm happy to know you're getting some mileage out of that camera.
    If it helps at all, I've since bought a Technikardan, and keep it folded without bellows.
    This saves on space (it's a different camera, I know), and allows me to stow the bellows neatly without fear of damage while in transit.
    Set-up time is minimal, it's just something that you'll get used to through repetition.
    Best of luck, and happy holidays!

Ben Horne is hiking quite a bit with about 60lb. Here's a video where he's packing his backpack. Of course his isnt a monorail, but a few neat tricks in between anyways =)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz-162fNXmw

Hi all, many thanks for your valued comments.

The camera itself is so nice that I must persevere with a solution (after all I used to use a Toyo 810G for landscape).

I guess part of my problem is not knowing just what's available in purpose-built backpacks like the Redwing, particularly whether they're big enough to accomodate this awkward shape.

After the Christmas break I'll email Bruce at Photobackpacker and get some ideas from him. I'm not against dismantling the camera, as long as everything can be carried safely, but would prefer to keep it together to reduce friction damage etc. Pity there isn't a short rail for this model.

Thanks again for the good thoughts, including the link to the Ben Horne video - very interesting.

All have a happy Christmas.

Barry.

I have a Linhof Color Karden 8x10 Triplex with the original tripod head and the heavy duty tripod.

Having given this same setup the identical challenge of making it "field" bound, I honestly feel that the best way to accomplish this objective is as follows;

A lightweight partitioned case is necessary to carry each standard taken down from the rails along with the bellows in a separate compartment. The reason for this breakdown necessity is to keep the carrying dimensions as small as possible recognizing that one still has the tripod head and tripod to deal with along with holders. lenses and other shooting accessories.

As a studio camera, this set up has no equals. As a quasi field camera, compromises must be made to expand its range of usefulness.

Thank you, Michael. Wise words to ponder. I'm coming around to the idea of dismantling the camera for transport. Three compartments - for front and rear standards and bellows - makes sense; the rail can go anywhere. The nice thing about this camera is that everything just clips together. Many thanks. Barry.