Thread: Center filter needed on a Grandagon-N 75mm f6.8?

Center filter needed on a Grandagon-N 75mm f6.8?

I am looking at different 90mm and 75mm lenses for my 4x5. I shoot primarily lan dscape, and am wondering if I will need a center filter for any of the modern 75 mm lenses. I am specifically looking at the Grandagon-N 75mm f6.8.

From a budgeting standpoint, this might affect my decision, as I understand the center filters are quite pricey.

It should have no effect on your decision. All modern 75mm lenses as well as shorter and longer WA lenses have co sine failure. All can benefit from a center filter.

As to is one needed? That depends on what you shoot, how you shoot and what you want it to look like.

Andy,

If your work is color and especially the more contrasty emulsions, you might appreciate one for the 75. B&W, however: not a problem. The fall-off in the neg. will be compensated for (to some degree) by fall- off in your enlarger.....a little dodging should take care of the rest.

Have a ball, Bruce

Andy -

Ultimately, how much falloff is too much is a matter of personal taste. For whatever it's worth, I have the 75/6.8 Grandagon-N, and I'm happy with it. However, I use it mostly for 6x9cm work. While it's fine without a filter in that application, I find that in 4x5 shooting, with typical amounts of front rise in general scenic snapshooting outdoors, the corner falloff is very visible. If I shot much 4x5 with it I'd probably spring for the center filter. For that matter, if I had intended to shoot mostly 4x5 with it, I probably would have stretched a bit further on the cost and weight and gone for the 75/4.5 Grandagon-N...

I've had that lens for nearly a year and purchased the rodenstock center filter after shooting with it for some six months. I shoot primarily 4x5 Velvia, and the falloff was quite noticeable around the corners without the center filter. With the center filter, the brightness is very even across the entire transparency. I'd say it's definitely worth it if you're concerned about the fallout you see and plan on keeping the lens for a while. Plus, if you really want to have the falloff on a particular shot, you can always remove it. You will find you'll need to remove it for groundglass focusing, particularly with the f6.8 lens. For landscape, the Grandagon-N is a nice, lightweight lens.

What about the Nikkor 90mm? I hate to change the subject matter to a different lens, but I am evaluating whether I should purchase a 75mm or a 90mm. At this point, I am leaning towards the 90mm.

As far as choosing between the 90mm and 75mm focal lengths, I would see how that focal length complements the other lens you are shooting with. I currently carry for landscape a 75mm Grandagon N, a 135mm Rodenstock Sironar-S, a 210mm Nikkor W, and a 300mm Nikkor M. They're all great lenses and the focal lengths are such that they give a good variety of field of view to choose from. I've been debating whether to add a 47mm Schneider super angulon XL for an extreme wide angle lens. Whether I would choose a 75mm or 90mm lens in your case would depend on what other lenses you were carrying. If this lens is going to be your widest lens, I would opt for the 75mm. There are some landscape shots that are just made for a really wide angle view, and you can always crop...

Yeah, I currently have a Rodenstock APO-Sironar S 210 f5.6. I picked up one lens, just to see if I would love large format or not. Well, I love it.

So, I need to pick up another 2 lenses at this point. Probably a 75mm or a 90mm, and then a 150. I see your selection is a little different, going for the 75 and a 135.

I think my next step should be running down to Calument and renting a 75, 90, 135 and a 150. That should tell me everything I need to know.

Thanks for all of your comments. If I need a center filter for a given lens/focal length, I will just go buy one. Pricey, yes, buy so is every other hobby I have every tried.