Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi from John in San Diego

Hi from John in San Diego

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to stop in and say hi. I'm getting pretty excited checking out everyones work. Very humbling...it will be great to hang out with such talented people. In my mid 40's, I've been into photography all my life. Re-stated LF about 6 years ago with an old Graphic view. Upgraded to a lighter orbit, then I bought a Wisner 11x14 Tech. Field and I love the thing. (I use an 8x10 back, my favorite format) I got one of his gems. I Keep in in the studio most of the time, but lug it out in the field once in a while...I just need to stay near the car. However I'm dealing with some severe shoulder rotator cuff tendon tears now, so no LF field work for me...I'm just in the studio figuring out how to focus one handed

For small format, I recently started using my old Voigtlander Vito IIa 35mm from the early 50's again. It was my fist camera. (My trusty old OM2 just bit the dust) A little tape on the bellows, and it works like new after sitting for about 15 years, shutter times are spot on! Can't imagine a new mid level Digital P&S lasting more than a couple of years...Someone please tell me: What does product lifespan mean again?

Aside from the obvious optical and mechanical reasons, I love LF and the process of old school non automated photography, and I'm a happy little puppy in the zone system. That said, I haven't got a darkroom, so I rely on a local lab for development. I drum scan my negs/trans and print large format on a Colorspan Esprite.

So I'm looking forward to enjoying hanging with you guys, learning some things and having my work critiqued.

Re: Hi from John in San Diego

First of all, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your work.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGC View Post
    Can't imagine a new mid level Digital P&S lasting more than a couple of years...Someone please tell me: What does product lifespan mean again?
    What does that has to do with taking photos? If your LF camera broke in two years, would you stop taking LF photos?

My film 35mm camera's shutter died after 3 years, I paid to get it fixed and went right back to using it. My current DSLR is about 3 years old now, still going strong. I am not planning just yet to go back to pencils and paper, pencils break too, you know ; )

Thanks for the Welcome.

It was a joke....(perhaps ill-fated) no ditz on digital or any camera intended, just an observation of the longevity of a present day med grade camera compared to 50 plus years ago. Sorry I posted it, certainly not the minutia I wanted anyone to concentrate on...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGC View Post
    Thanks for the Welcome.

It was a joke....(perhaps ill-fated) no ditz on digital or any camera intended, just an observation of the longevity of a present day med grade camera compared to 50 plus years ago. Sorry I posted it, certainly not the minutia I wanted anyone to concentrate on...
    I thought that all digital-vs-film wars have quited down over the years. So I was just starting film-vs-pencil war

Pencils huh? I like my No.2 (HB) Graphite Stanford Eagle (made in USA) Had it for several months and it still gets as sharp as new! It's even approved for SAT's ;~)

John:

Welcome to the forums. It's always nice to see another LF/film shooter from San Diego on the forum.

I shoot with a couple of Cambos (4-5 and 8-10) and am SO glad to live in the Southwest. Almost everywhere I look there's something worth shooting.

I also shoot with an RB67, a Zeiss 6x6 TLR, and also use a digital. I probably take more shots with the digital, but I mostly use it to keep my eye in practice. My best shots still come from the medium and LF work.

Brian

Welcome to the forum. There are a few people here who live in the San Diego area. Currently I am in Texas, with a limited internet connection, though I will be back in San Diego early next year. I am a commercial (advertising) photographer who mainly uses a 4x5 for work. Anyway, San Diego is a nice area to shoot . . . lots of interesting places.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Hi John! Welcome from Ramona, just "up the hill" from you. Jeez, I think we almost have enough LF shooters in the area to put together a day of shooting, or at least an evening social hour. We should try and get together after the first of the year, if you're interested.

Tori

And Hi to you too Brian, I must have missed your introduction. What part of the county are you in?

Hi guys! Thanks for the welcome, San Diego is a great place to shoot!

Tori, Yeah lets get together after the new year! But I can't shot LF in the field right now, my right arm is useless for carrying any weight. Maybe I could tag along with a 35mm.

Hmmm... could it be a "San Diego LF day" for all of us to meet this spring?