Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What use is a Poloroid 545 back?

What use is a Poloroid 545 back?

I've been away from LF for about 20+ years. When I first got into it, I just had to have a Poloroid back. As it turned out, I didn't really use it all that much........my guess is less than 10 packs of film! So now that I'm "considering" LF again, I notice that film is no longer available from Poloroid, and only available from other sources at "Gold Bar" prices. So what use is a perfectly good Poloroid 545 back in this day and age? (maybe a paperweight?)
    Chris Christenberry

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Re: What use is a Poloroid 545 back?

You can use Kodak Readyload or Fuji Quickload films with it.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Dave Karp

You can use it for Fuji Quickloads. It will save you from having to buy the Quickload holder. Different people have different opinions on the use of the 545 holder for this purpose, but I never had any problems.

Jon: You beat me to it!

Shows you what I've missed all these years...................I've never even heard of those two suggestions.
    Chris Christenberry

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Yeah but they are still worthless. The Fuji Quickload holder is much lighter and nicer. It's a Xmas Fruit Cake serving platform...

And I have one for sale if you want to spend the big bucks ;-)

I'm not sure I completely understand. Does Kodak Readyload work in the same manner as Poloriod film? Do I get a finished image out of the camera?
    Chris Christenberry

It's a moot point as Readyloads are discontinued but yes they are almost the same as Quickloads, although you can't use a Readyload in a Quickload holder. You can use a Quickload in a 545, some people claim they work flawlessly, others have problems. One concern is that the film plane may be slightly different with the 545 versus the lighter, better OEM Quickload holder.

Of course you can still get out of date 4x5 Polaroid but the prices are rising as the supply is used up and expiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris623 View Post
    I'm not sure I completely understand. Does Kodak Readyload work in the same manner as Poloriod film? Do I get a finished image out of the camera?
    No. It's just a regular sheet of film enclosed in the paper envelope, rather than having to put it into a sheet film holder in the dark. Has to be opened in darkness and developed like any other film. Advantage is that it is lighter than carrying a bunch of cut film holders, and there's no dust problem.
    Disadvantage: twice as expensive as sheet film bought in boxes, and very limited choice of emulsions available.
    Kodak Readyloads have just recently been discontinued (they were assembled by Polaroid for Kodak), leaving only Fuji Quickloads on the market.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Is there any product presently on the market that does what Poloroid used to? Frankly, I'm trying to find some way to scratch the darkroom out of the process......or is that possible?
    Chris Christenberry

For an instant neg, no.