Thread: A newbee ( needs introduction to LF) !!

A newbee ( needs introduction to LF) !!

hi ..
    I have been doing photography on DSLR(350D) for 3 years.
    Since a year have got into MF lenses and now have got a good collection of primes, ND filters, grads, polas etc.
    Played around with off camera flash ( Read strobist ) etc..

But i feel limited on my current setup for doing landscape, which is what i shoot the most, And need to shoot LF just to get more quality.

Beign a total newbee i would love to get some advice from you guys here what articles shot i start with reading for a good intro..
    Secondly the a cheaper setup to target only landscape (quality still being better than what i get with my ziess lenses & 350D setup ) , so that after getting used to it i can upgrade myself to more expensive gear.

Looking forward to your valuable advice..

My DSLR work is here ( I know not good enough to show people involved with LF , but hopefully you will be better able to advice me )
    http://dakoo.gfxartist.com/artworks

Re: A newbee ( needs introduction to LF) !!

Your photos are much better than your description of them would make me think. Great use of color!

You might find some interesting info at the page: www.largeformatphotography.info if you have not already found it.

Welcome aboard,

C

Quote Originally Posted by CG View Post
    Your photos are much better than your description of them would make me think. Great use of color!

You might find some interesting info at the page: www.largeformatphotography.info if you have not already found it.

Welcome aboard,

C
    Actually, i am onto it. So much to read already !!
    The thread is also to suggest my initial expectations from the system i plan to buy & use, would be landscapes, and a single lense.
    Maybe that would help you guys narrow down choices to suggest/advise a camera.
    BTW can i buy anything good around 150 GBP ?

I don't believe that you would gain anything by switching to Large Format, and you would lose the spontaniety which seems to be a significant factor in your present work.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

SF Bay Area 94303

Can get "spontaniety" with a speed/crown/super grapfic. These camera liberate.
    They may not be "view cameras" but they are special. K

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I don't believe that you would gain anything by switching to Large Format, and you would lose the spontaniety which seems to be a significant factor in your present work.
    But for my most landscapes i have spend 15-20 min on the location shooting..
    Also IR shots are long exposures like 20 sec & above ...!
    Presently i feel limited by the resolution power of the lenses i own..
    I can't print them big..
    Also any of you are aware of dennis oliver / artlimited.net
    I have badly been waiting to get into similar photography...!

Assuming you wish to shoot colour and you will not be processing your own colour film, you should be aware right up front that each shot will cost you several dollars. I'm not trying to discourage you, but your budget of 150 GBP will not go far at all. You'll need film holders, a loupe (for focusing), a dark cloth (though that can be improvised), a dark room or changing tent (to load film), a cable release. You will need film; I see Robert White sells a box of 10 Provia for 15 GBP. You'll need to find someone to process the film; depends on where you live.

Contemplate all this carefully.How big do you want to print? If the only reason you want to do LF is for more resolution, is there a more cost-efficient way to achieve your target print sizes?

If you meet all that, I'd say go for a cheap used field camera and a "standard" lens in the range of 150-210 mm. Not sure how much it will run, but with all the bits and pieces, it will be significantly more then 150 GBP. But it sure is a lot of fun!