Thread: Forming new state group in Indiana

Forming new state group in Indiana

Hi,
    I am new to the Forum and have two questions.

1. I am working on pulling together a group of silver B&W mostly large format photographers located in Indiana. I now have about 5 names of people who are interested. Are there others? Let me know if you are.

2. Which model D54 cold light head is being used on the Durst 138S enlarger. I am using several other enlargers with the cold light and want to put one on the Durst.

Thanks for your help.

Tom
    Potter

Re: Forming new state group in Indiana

I'm in Ann Arbor Michigan and so am interested in where you are located....
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Re: Forming new state group in Indiana

Something very much like this already exists: the Midwest Large Format Asylum. Our website is at http://www.midwestlargeformat.com/

Although we cover as much of the Midwest as we can (we have a member in Italy. Italy's in the Midwest, isn't it?) and the Chicago area hosts the largest group of members, there are quite a few of us in Indiana. I'm in Elkhart, in the center of the state on the Michigan border and there are a couple more in South Bend. The Indianapolis area is home to several members, and there are others scattered around the state.

That said, what sort of organization or group are you trying to put together? What's the purpose, what's your vision? Maybe the Asylum already fits your needs?

We're a pretty laid-back group. No officers, no dues, no meetings, no organization other than a website (Thanks, Sherman!) and a mailing list (Thanks, Frank!) If you want to meet up somewhere to photograph, put an announcement on the website's forums, or send an e-mail to the mailing list. If others think it interesting, someone(s) may join you. We've been to quite a few places in Indiana to photograph over the past few years: Turkey Run State Park and Shades State Park seem to be annual regulars and in August we also spent a weekend at Spring Mill State Park, south of Indy near Mitchell, IN. The group regularly meets on the third weekend of the month -- although on the second weekend in November half a dozen members photographed abandoned buildings in Gary, including a magnificant church, in everything from 4x5 to 8x20. We've also been to Chicago and many different places in Illinois and Michigan as well. Our last stomp through the Windy City to visit camera stores and photograph bridges and China Town was kind of legendary in its own way...

January 10th is our annual 'get together to look at pictures gathering', at the inn at Starved Rock State Park, near Utica, Illinois (basically, go West from Chicago. It's an easy day trip from Elkhart and about that from Indianapolis, too.) It is absolutely amazing the quality of photographers we have in the group and if it is true that looking at good photographs will make you a better photographer, this day will do that without a doubt.

You're welcome to join us for any or all of these activities: "membership" in the Asylum mostly consists of signing up at the website so we have an e-mail address to know that you aren't a 'bot. Welcome aboard!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.