Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 617 vs 4x10'' format

Re: 617 vs 4x10'' format

Uh-oh...Medium format 120 likely going away before sheet film?

Now i have ANOTHER thing to worry about!

Ambroz,
    I had a 617 Technorama with a 90mm and now I have a Fotoman with a SA 72mm XL. I mostly used them as glorified point-and-shoots (hand-held, mostly street photography, BW, 3200/6400 ASA). (This is the reason I have a 72mm XL now, somewhat of an overkill for a 6x17 under normal usage.)

I did use them for some color landscapes (tripod and much more relaxed picture taking, which I understand is how you plan to use the camera), but I did not like the experience because when I wanted/needed to use a polarizer and/or a graduated neutral filter I had to throw away lots of film to be able to use the ground glass. Having a removable back would be a must for me if I had to pick a "rigid" 6x17 for landscape photography (i.e., no bellows), and to the best of my knowledge only the Horseman SW617 lets you do that.

Print size? My 6x17 landscape color negatives were scanned by a Creo iQsmart 3 (wet-mount) and I had no problem obtaining wonderfully detailed prints with a 9x enlargement. I am pretty sure you can do better than that, certainly at least 12x.

Film flatness may limit maximum scanning resolution, but I have not seen any solid study on film flatness in various 6x17 cameras, only random gripes by some users when something bad happened. Frankly, though, film flatness of a 4x10 sheet is unlikely to be greater. My two cents.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Annaratone View Post
    Ambroz,
    Having a removable back would be a must for me if I had to pick a "rigid" 6x17 for landscape photography (i.e., no bellows), and to the best of my knowledge only the Horseman SW617 lets you do that.

Cheers!
    No, The Linhof Technorama 617 SIII now has a darkslide and it has had a groundglass back option for several years. There is also a sliding loupe for the T617 SIII ground glass back as an accessory. The 617 SIII also now accepts a shift adapter that can be used with the 72, 90 and 110mm lenses. The 180 and 250mm lenses will not adapt to the shift adapter.

If one already has Linhof 617 72 and 90mm lenses they would have to be converted at the factory to fit onto the shift adapter.

OK, I am talking about a removable back, right? That contraption the Hasselblad 5xx have, or the Mamiya RB/RZ have, or the Horseman SW617 has, that lets you change film in mid roll. Or in the case of the Horseman SW617 (or SW612) that it lets you use the ground glass for critical focusing any time you want without throwing away any film.

Let me sure I get it then: your "NO" in your post implies that the Technorama 617 III now has it? 'Cause the one I used until a few years ago sure it did not.

Cheers!

OK, I am talking about a removable back, right? That contraption the Hasselblad 5xx have, or the Mamiya RB/RZ have, or the Horseman SW617 has, that lets you change film in mid roll. Or in the case of the Horseman SW617 (or SW612) that it lets you use the ground glass for critical focusing any time you want without throwing away any film.

Let me sure I get it then: your "NO" in your post implies that the Technorama 617 III now has it? 'Cause the one I used until a few years ago sure it did not.

Cheers!
    The Linhof has had it for a while now. About 2 years.

Cheers!
    The Linhof has had it for a while now. About 2 years. In fact it has it again in a way. The very first Linhof Technorama 617 had a ground glass back as an accessory. But unlike the current body it did not have a darkslide or interchangeable lenses.

Having a removable back would be a must for me if I had to pick a "rigid" 6x17 for landscape photography (i.e., no bellows), and to the best of my knowledge only the Horseman SW617 lets you do that.
    Correction: the exotic and gorgeous and $$$ Gilde 66-17 MST 3D has a removable back as well (besides a bunch of other impressive features).

Cheers!