Thread: Attaching Sinar Bino-Reflex

Attaching Sinar Bino-Reflex

Hi,
    I just wondered if anyone knows how best to attach the Sinar Bino-reflex housing to a Sinar F1? There is a small black metal strip with a bent spring-like metal piece screwed onto the right of the ground glass screen. When this is removed, the reflex housing fits snuggly into place but then there is nothing to hold it there and it doesn't seem to allow the strip of metal to be screwed back into place. Would be very grateful if anyone knows about this...
    Michael

Re: Attaching Sinar Bino-Reflex

Michael,

There is a sliding lock bar on the back . It sounds like you have removed the bar. Put the bar back the way it was, slide it out of the way, insert the reflex viewer (it will fit into guides on the opposite edge of the groundglass from the bar), and then slide the bar to lock the viewer in place.

It is meant to work in a similar fashion to a Graflok back.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! That did the trick.

hi

I just got one of these
    can anybody tell me why there is a knob to move the mirror
    Also how can I tell which diopters are in it

thanks

robin

I apologize for being a bit off-topic but a few years ago I was waiting to photograph some people during a convention in Las Vegas and watched a poor assistant trying to attach the same viewer onto his boss's camera.

For what seemed like 20 minutes, he tryed every which way he could to make it stay on. Several times he almost dropped it, only to examine it again then the camera then the viewer and once again fail to attach it.

I was about 100 feet away and desperately wanted to go over and help but my subjects were due out of their meeting at any moment and I couldn't leave. I tried calling to him but it was in the Las Vegas Convention Center which was far too loud to be heard.

After he finally gave up and sat down, his boss returned. The assistant handed the viewer to the photographer without even getting up and the photographer turned, attached the viewer and made his exposure. I'm sure the assistant figured he was as good as fired.

Sorry for the long post but I guess attaching it isn't as clear as Sinar would have us believe.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by brighamr View Post
    hi

I just got one of these
    can anybody tell me why there is a knob to move the mirror
    Also how can I tell which diopters are in it

thanks

robin
    The light falls on the ground glass at different angles, depending on the focal length of the lens (actually it's the bellows draw, i.e. the distance between the lens and the ground glass). You can move the mirror so that you get the best angle to see what is actually in that part of the picture. This is very obvious with wide-angles, where parts of the picture is almost black until you adjust the mirror to the correct angle.
    One thing which sometimes isn't mentioned about these viewers, is that they are designed to be used with a fresnel lens on the ground glass. It makes a world of difference. Again with a wide-angle lens, you will either see a picture with a hot spot in the middle and the corners almost solid black. Attach the fresnel and the whole picture lights up. (This is also the answer to all of those questions about how "bad" the f/8 type Super-Angulons, Grandagons etc. are compared to the f/4.5-5.6 type wide-angles. It doesn't help a bit to use a lens which is double the size, those damn corners are still almost invisible. Just attach a fresnel lens to the ground glass and the problem is gone.)

About finding the diopter of the lenses, I don't know. The standard ones are 3.0. It's possible that there is either a serial number or the diopter in plain numbers printed on the side of the lenses, but I've never taken the lenses out of their frame.
    Now, if you have normal vision from about 1 meter (3') and further, the 3.0 lenses should give you a sharp picture of the ground glass without straining your eyes. (If you are using glasses or contacts, I take it you are using them when using the Bino-reflex too.) If you are in the age where you have to use reading-glasses, try them out to see if they help, it's probably easier to use the reading glasses as a compliment to the built-in lenses instead of shifting the lenses in the Bino-Reflex.

//Björn