Thread: Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone

Well, I am going to take the plunge into Large Format and am so excited. I am going to get a Tachihara 4X5, still need to figure out what lenses I want. Then I have a ton of learning, but I am so excited to learn. I cannot wait to share my results here with everyone!!!

Re: Hello Everyone

Welcome. This is a great place learn and share.

Cool--welcome. I wouldn't obsess much over your first lens. Get a decent used 150mm or 210mm lens and start playing around. Start reading the articles on the LF home page and you'll be off to a good start.

Welcome to group therepy! What part of the world are you in?? Pretty good chance that there are others posting here from your general area.

I live in Wylie TX, near Dallas. I am so excited to get started in LF photography!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jchooper12 View Post
    I live in Wylie TX, near Dallas. I am so excited to get started in LF photography!!!

New here and to LF also.
    Just FYI, Collin Co. Community College....in the Photo II credit class, LF (4x5) is taught, along with the use of the Darkroom/developing lab. One can always Audit the class.

I'd suggest starting with one lens with a large enough image circle to enable moderate use of movements, then ask yourself how often you wish you had something longer or shorter. Lens selection is a very personal matter. A used 180, 203 or 210mm lens can be obtained inexpensively with a little patience. If it turns out you don't like it, it can probably be sold for your purchase price or so close to it as to be cheap rent. Maybe, though, you'll want to keep it forever.

Welcome! What Ernest says is right on! Enjoy the adventure
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White