Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help removing head off tripod

Re: Help removing head off tripod

I've got it!!! Set up the tripod, have someone hold it down, then, slip a length, maybe 3 or 4 (ok 6) feet, of 1 1/2" pvc plastic drain pipe over the handle, that should give you plenty of leverage. without damage. It needs a quick snap to break the head loose.
    David Silva
    Modesto, Ca

This is a common problem, at least I've had it every time I've tried to remove a head that's been on a tripod for a few years. I usually end up resorting to a hammer. At least with the 3047 you have something to hammer on (i.e. the grip on one of the handles). I wrap the grip in a couple folds of towel to minimize cosmetic damage. The bigger problem is holding the tripod firm while you hammer on the grip. A vise would be great but I don't have one. I usually end up sitting on the tripod legs.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Here is how I got it off: remove the three set screws, take the column off the tripod, put in freezer for a few hours. Put a screwdriver to prevent rotation in the holes at the bottom of the column and with the column and screwdriver supported by a bench, use some channel-lock pliers to unscrew the head. Try first without the freezer part.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I used a BIG pair of channel locks and a hammer. Still took a lot of force to get it free!!

Thanks for all the replies. My freezer was no where big enough to put it in, but that sounded like the best solution.

How about just spray some WD 40 around it and into the screw holes and let it sit for the day and then try it :
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself: