Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plate burner for alternate processes

Plate burner for alternate processes

I want to create VanDyke Browns, etc. I know I can use the sun, but I would like to be able to work with these processes and not have to depend on good weather. As a result, I have been looking at NuArc plate burners. But, I need to ask the question. Will a NuArc plate burner work with alternate processes?

This is what I have in mind:

NuArc 26-1K

Jon

Re: Plate burner for alternate processes

Yes, this exact unit is used by many alt-process workers.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

Quote Originally Posted by Kerik Kouklis View Post
    Yes, this exact unit is used by many alt-process workers.

Thanks! I thought that was the case, but I had to be sure!

Jon

Perhaps a little over-kill (compared to a bank of BL tubes), but for the price, it seems to be a good deal if you live in the area to pick it up! And if you take alt processes further, it will be a great tool.

If I did not live on the other coast, I'd bid for it!

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Perhaps a little over-kill (compared to a bank of BL tubes), but for the price, it seems to be a good deal if you live in the area to pick it up! And if you take alt processes further, it will be a great tool.

If I did not live on the other coast, I'd bid for it!

Vaughn
    Well, I'm all for 'over-kill'! But, if I can get one where the price is right, and it is also located nearby, I think it may be the best bet. I like the idea of the vacuum frame, and short exposures.

Jon

Jon, the vacuum frame is wonderful, but don't expect shorter exposures as the light is much further away from your emulsion than in a UV box. My times are about 0.5 stops slower with the Nuarc than a bank of BL bulbs. I see that auction comes with an extra bulb, but I have been using the Oshio bulb from Freestylephoto.biz and it works great whenever you need a replacement (they are $50 there).

Wished the one we got was that small. Ours fills the back of a pick up but as the saying is the price was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post
    Jon, the vacuum frame is wonderful, but don't expect shorter exposures as the light is much further away from your emulsion than in a UV box. My times are about 0.5 stops slower with the Nuarc than a bank of BL bulbs. I see that auction comes with an extra bulb, but I have been using the Oshio bulb from Freestylephoto.biz and it works great whenever you need a replacement (they are $50 there).
    Jeremy,

Thanks for the tips. I was not considering the distance from the light to the frame. Maybe it could be lowered?

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    Wished the one we got was that small. Ours fills the back of a pick up but as the saying is the price was right.
    I too will wait for the correct price. I was thinking of visiting some of the local printers to see if they had one just sitting around. My understanding is that most of the print prepress stuff has been replaced with computers and computer printers that can create a 'plate'.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    Jeremy,

Thanks for the tips. I was not considering the distance from the light to the frame. Maybe it could be lowered?

Jon
    Maybe if you're printing small, but if you're printing larger then you'll get light fall off.

Long[er] exposure times are just one of the things that occur with alt process printing; if you're having very long exposure times you may want to look at your negatives as they may be overly dense. It seems lots of people think for alt process you need a bullet-proof negative which is just not true, you only need a negative that matches the density range of the process you are printing in.