Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Film Drying

Re: 4x5 Film Drying

All good ideas. The only thing I do is attach the film to the close pin at the tip of one corner. This lets the film hang in a diamond shape. This is a personal preference!
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by shmoo View Post
    My wife had something similar for drying clothes, except round and all plastic and has a big hook to hang it from anything. Holds about 12 sheets. Also holds all types of film conveniently. Been using for years and I think it's great. Compact, clean, etc. I hang it from the shower rod.

I see in black and white.

Sorry for the messy kitchen. I use an old AV cable strung between my two cabinet handles above the kitchen sink and clothespins to hold the film. I couldn't find the twine I normally use and I had already developed the film.

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by dazedgonebye View Post
    Continuing my slow crawl towards large format...

I've been getting my things together for developing 4x5 and I guess I'm just about there. Working through the process, I have (at least) one more question.

How do you hang 4x5 film to dry? This is no problem for me with roll film, but I have no idea how to do it with sheet.

Thanks,
    I got some little alligator clips from an electronics supply store and strung them on a piece of picture hanging wire. Then in the final stage of my wash I use some LFN wetting agent (comes in a tiny white bottle) to help the water drain off and not leave spots, then hang from the clips by the corner. When the sheets have gotten to the point where there's a drop left hanging on the corner I blot them on the corner with my shirt. I find sometimes the water droplet leaves a spot of residue otherwise. Mind you that was when I lived in an area with very hard water, and I haven't changed my routine since moving so it may not be necessary in all areas.

Quote Originally Posted by beemermark View Post
    My wife had something similar for drying clothes, except round and all plastic and has a big hook to hang it from anything. Holds about 12 sheets. Also holds all types of film conveniently. Been using for years and I think it's great. Compact, clean, etc. I hang it from the shower rod.
    sorta' like this only round? About $3-4 at a Japanese store.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

B&H sells Delta brand film clips for $7.95 for 10 clips. Each clip has a simi ring on top for handing on a clothes line, rack, etc. These are the best clips for sheet film that I've seen, and they don't cost a small fortune like the Jobo clips (10 for $70.00!).

Thomas

Japan Exposures

Japanese socks laundry hanger...

Hello I'm a new member so I'll keep this brief. I use a closet with fishing line hung in the upper part. I also use plastic clothepins and grip my 4x5 neg from one corner and let it hang crooked........ I even hang my 120 film on an angle from the same set up.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSteveG View Post
    The lingerie dryer looks perfect. I've seen tham at B&H for $149.00
    lingerie dryer is bit expensive but most effective. I still use it

I searched on dental film hangers and found these. I've used them for a while and they work great. Notice the curved hook on one end and a pointed clip on the other which holds the very edge of the corner of the negative very securely.

I hang them up inside a hanging dress bag which keeps them dust-free. You can add a 100 w bulb in a cheap fixture placed securely in the bottom of the bag and they will dry quite fast. Pretty inexpensive and efficient drying cabinet setup.

Cheers