Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tried out my new Lodima

Re: Tried out my new Lodima

[Steve Simmons (aka Eric) because he had absolutely nothing to do with it its success and desperately wants the LF world to go through him. The sad fact is the LF community has left him behind and is moving on down the road. Hell of an attitude for someone that has 25 years into the business.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and in my opinion, the magazine has declined as well. It used to be that Thalmann, Harris, and others contributed useful, informative, and well-written articles, but now we have repetitive articles on the same subjects (at least three Scheimpflug articles in the last year, for example), poorly done and poorly presented articles on photographers' work, and a lot of filler ("Steve Simmons has undertaken the 7x17 camera" even though there has been very little of use in his writings). It's too bad there isn't another alternative for large format photographers. I'm so glad this forum exists.

Quote Originally Posted by ejohnson View Post
    I am a newbie to large format...

I watched this forum ...
    Please continue to watch, but please be careful with your comments. I suggest you continue to read and research who these people posting are before you post. So far the people posting here are the ones who have spent their time (years) and their money (no offense, but more money than the cost of your lens on just this batch of test paper) on this project. Please sit back and continue to learn.

Mike

BTW, my boxes arrived in Tennessee yesterday. Merry Christmas to me.

Mike

Going to Tijuana soon...

It is too bad that M and C can't bask in the deserving glow generated by their good works due to the idiocy of one Bozo.

Good on ya M & C!

It would be nice if the next project were to be a proper, professional magazine dedicated to large format.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn Nilsson View Post
    But, given the previous posts of "Eric" as compiled by "pcent", what is it that makes you guys jump at him? I guess that you see a pattern which matches Mr Simmons in his various disguises, but I'm not familiar with that particular pattern.
    Feel free to (sparingly) PM and enlighten me. I'm just curious.

(Just for the record, I'm also curious about Lodima, but I cannot see myself using the product in foreseeable time, as I don't currently shoot anything bigger than 5x7". )

All the best
    //Björn

Ehh, I must have been a bit tired last night. But finally, I do see the pattern.

Btw, I recon that the next run is somewhere in the future so I will try a box along with some Amidol from Artcraft.

//Björn

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Check the Azo Forum for answers to many of these questions
    There must be a new Lodima Forum!! I got mine in Wisconsin and will play on Saturday. I have many 8x10 negs waiting..Evan Clarke

Responding to a coupla things.

First, I hope all you guys are positive that ejohnson is actually Mr. Simmons, if not, this is sad. And many know that I have no compulsion to defend Mr. Simmons.

I wrote an article about Azo that never got published in View Camera, and posted it for free download from my web site, www.circleofthesunproductions.com Feel free to take a look. It's an old article, but so is the paper, and nothing has changed, including my opinions about Azo.

As far as a good review, John Bowen has evolved into one of the better photographers I know. He's a fine printer with a keen eye. If he says it's good, it is. Trust me on this one. I don't know if Peter Schrager is weighing in with Lodima, but there's another source to trust. Those are two of many who inhabit this forum from time to time, but they're two whose work I've seen and therefore, whose opinions I trust categorically.

No offense, Michael (one of my favorite folks in photography...next to his wife), but you're better off having someone else write the first View Camera article - you clearly have a vested interest that many on the fence might not fancy. Another author extolling Lodima's virtues would serve you better, and sell more paper (which we all want, by the way). Maybe write your own soon after, maybe oriented towards a "master class" for getting the most out if Lodima, but consider leaving "first impressions" to someone else.

Next, I bought the 7.5 by 10 just so I can make 5x7 contacts. For me, it's a magical size, and Azo 5x7s are tasty. Based on what Mr. Bowen tells me, Lodima will be as tasty, or more.

Last, it's snowing here in the northeast again, so I'm afraid that UPS may fail to deliver my Lodima one more time. It's gotta come tomorrow, 6-10 more white inches due Friday. Welcome to New Hampshire. Our president declared us a disaster area while the shoes were flying...
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    No offense, Michael (one of my favorite folks in photography...next to his wife), but you're better off having someone else write the first View Camera article - you clearly have a vested interest that many on the fence might not fancy. Another author extolling Lodima's virtues would serve you better, and sell more paper (which we all want, by the way). Maybe write your own soon after, maybe oriented towards a "master class" for getting the most out if Lodima, but consider leaving "first impressions" to someone else.
    Bruce

I have no axe to grind on this at all, and completely see your point. However, I find it a little odd that, given your views stated above, you wrote a review for your "business partner, friend and fan"'s new 8x10 camera in View Camera magazine. I honestly don't really see any difference to Michael writing an article on Lodima - like yourself and Richard's camera, he probably knows more about Lodima and Azo than anyone else...?

Given Steve's most recent behaviour, perhaps articles in View Camera magazine will be a moot point down the line anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    There must be a new Lodima Forum!! I got mine in Wisconsin and will play on Saturday. I have many 8x10 negs waiting..Evan Clarke
    Evan, if you are going to the LF Asylum print show in January, please bring a few along. I missed out on getting a box and would love to see what the paper looks like.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Evan,

There is a a Lodima Section on the Azo Forum...