Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miami,Cuba ,Bahamas

Miami,Cuba ,Bahamas

I would like to ask someone who has traveled abroad.I am joining my friend in next couple weeks to sail from Miami to the Florida keys and continue to Cuba ,stay there for few weeks, continue to Bahamas and after few weeks back to Miami.Be back in March.
    I would like to take my 4X5 Crown Graphic or my Hassy. What would you recommend?
    I have a Lowepro knapsack , would I be able to use it as carrion luggage?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks Greg

Re: Miami,Cuba ,Bahamas

Greg

The one thing you definitely need is someone to carry your bags. Someone with a passport from a country that allows visits to Cuba. Someone from say Western Canada.

Enjoy yourself and the weather which is bound to be better than at home

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Dejanovic View Post
    . . . I have a Lowepro knapsack , would I be able to use it as carrion luggage?
    Is this another one of those film is dead posts?

Seriously, sounds like a great trip. Enjoy.

I just had a suggestion that I should travel light so I think I'll get my 6X9 Bessa working again. I have looked at some beautiful images from Cuba that inspired me to take some B/W film.

Thank you very much
    Greg

Paul Cocklin

Cuba is a beautiful country, especially photogenic for black and white shots. I could spend years in Havana and not run out of things to shoot. A couple of pointers:

Make sure any prescription medication you bring with you has your name and issuing doctor clearly marked on the pill bottle.

It's always good to travel light. If you can afford it (and if you're traveling for weeks at a time you probably can), don't pack more than 2 changes of clothes. You can always buy clothes in-country, and leave them there when you leave.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a Crown, but it's always easier to travel with smaller cameras. If you're into meeting the locals, take 4 or 5 film holders, and when you get into Havana, look up a photographer. You may be able to borrow their LF gear (probably a Crown Graphic) for a nominal charge.

Study your spanish. Especially the polite parts. A good idea is to learn a little about popular musicians or other entertainers of the past who were from the countries you visit. I've never seen someone light up as fast as a Costa Rican who heard me singing the praises of Oscar Arias.

Cuban spanish is machine gun style, very rapid and it's common for them to drop the last vowel (or entire syllable) from words. Mas despacio, por favor will probably be your most commonly used phrase.

Depending on the size of the LowePro you should be able to use it as carry-on, particularly if you're flying there in a jet. If you're flying from Key West to Havana, don't be surprised if you're in a twin turbo prop, 30 seat plane. It's doubtful that you'll be allowed a backpack sized bag for carry-on, so verify plane size if you're flying to Havana.

Definitely bring a camera, and most of all, have fun. Cubans are some of the warmest people I've ever met.

For some inspiration, here is a book of black and white work from a trip Clyde Butcher did within the last few years.
    http://clydebutcher.com/clyde-butche...cfm?holdid=405

I second the suggestion to bone up on your Spanish, it's essential in Miami if you'll be there for any length of time. The weather in Key West should be nice this time of year and there's some interesting things to visit if you have any time in Key West - Ernest Hemingway's house and Harry Truman's Key West White House come to mind. If you're into sunsets the sunsets from the pier downtown can be spectacular. I enjoyed photographing some of the old residences and other buildings.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thank you for your replies. There all helpful. Small things make a difference like you pointed it out in previous threads. I think I will travel light with only carry-on luggage with my 35mm digi shooter and 6X9 folder.

Greg

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Wow, small world. On other "Londoner" ( at least, on this side of the big pond ), on this whole forum, and I'm heading back to the Keys next Feb myself, with 4x5 in tow.

PM sent. You could spend a week in Key West with a 4x5, and still not catch everything you wanted to.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

I shot with a 4x5 Shen Hao there earlier this year -- it can be done, and wasn't as hard as I feared.
    A Hassy is plenty portable, but I will say I've shot with a Crown overseas before and it is a great camera for travelling.

It really depends on what you want to shoot -- the main thing is, don't go on such a journey and come home with regrets.