Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A week in New Mexico

Re: Aweek in New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gledhill View Post
    Hany,

But, as I'm a LF photographer and a birdwatcher (not photographer) too I'll comment that there is no way I can do both at the same time. You'd think it was possible, being out and about amongst landscapes with birds flitting about. But somehow I must use different parts of my brain which are mutually exclusive. I have to concentrate on one or the other. Both just doesn't work. I saw less images and less birds when I used to try to do both at the same time. Hope you have more success.
    Interesting! That is precisely why I don't try to combine birding and bird photography. When I have in the past I ended up enjoying neither. I do carry a spotting scope in addition to my binocular and when I tried to add a camera with a long lens to the mix it starts getting overwhelming. So I am either out photographing (mainly landscapes) or birding but I do not try to mix the two.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Re: A week in New Mexico

Hany,
    Hope that things are alright for you in the ice storm. Anyway, you did not mention what you were looking for in landscape photography. Bad weather often brings out some of the more interesting shots. I would not write off going north into the mountains. Choose your weather and road conditions, same as you would plan when you head north to New Hampshire to shoot around Mt. Washington. If you are looking for a little warmer weather then heading south seems to be the ticket. I would try to get to Bosque for a sunrise liftoff shot. Think of the birds as elements in a landscape, like good cloud formations. You may get two shots if there are a couple of flights. Others in the forum have made suggestions that are very good. Your problem is, of course, time. Best of luck.
    Ric
    Ric Raymond
    Blue Heron Images