Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Century Stand Information

Century Stand Information

Folks,

I'm refinishing a Century Semi-Centennial 1A stand and 8x10 10A camera for a winter project and have some questions for the crowd.

1. Does anyone have the accessory 8x10 film holder rack that attached to the side column(s)? I'd like to talk to you about construction and dimensions so I can have one made. I'm assuming no one actually wants to sell one if they have it.

2. I'm currently planning on NOT removing the vertical carriage and refinishing around it because the spring looks difficult to manage. I've done things like this before and suspect the factory had a "special tool" that was probably a T-handle pipe with a slot in the end to capture the spring end. Am I missing the "easy button" to manage refinishing the vertical carriage?

3. Any advice, pitfalls, or words of wisdom on refinishing the camera itself? Suggestions for stain color if I need it?

Thanks much!

Steve

Scott Davis

Re: Century Stand Information

Steve-

I have a stand with the film holder bins that attach to the underside of the camera platform. I can photograph them and post pics if you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Steve-

I have a stand with the film holder bins that attach to the underside of the camera platform. I can photograph them and post pics if you need.
    Scott,

Thanks much! That would be a great help. If you have a measure handy, the outside dimensions and wall thickness would be super.

Cheers,

Steve

i would like to see this also.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Eddie,

You can see one in the background and attached to the stand in this eBay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/8x10-wooden-Cent...QQcmdZViewItem

I could make one, or have one made from this picture, but iId like to be as authentic as possible. You can see it attaches with apparently one screw from the cross bracket and holds twelve film holders.

Eddie, send me $1,500 and I'll have a couple made for you!

Cheers,

Steve

I have a 1A stand and 10A if you need pics.
    I believe everthing is original except the casters I just replaced with new ones that lock. The 10A is a dark stain like walnut colored, much darker than the one linked to ebay.
    I'll be using the 10A for the first time this weekend with my new custom wet plate back made by Wayne Pierce. According to UPS it's out for delivery today. I'm anxious to use this beautiful camera.....

Scott,

Yep, the eBay one is too light. I have a 10A and a 7A (with the #3 3-legged stand), but what I ideally need is a stain suggestion (brand, color) to help refinish the camera and stand if needed, and to stain the hopefully soon-to-be film holder bin.

Eddie, seriously, if I have one or two made, it might be financially advantageous to have 3-4 made. I was thinking about two, one for unexposed and one for exposed holders. Are you interested? If so, I'll e-mail you when I get info.

Cheers,

Steve

Scott D,

Oh, and if you could tell me how much higher the front edge of a film holder slot is than the back of the slot along with the front-to-back thickness, that will give me the angle of the slots.

BTW, if I can assemble all the required info, I will post it for others who might like to build one.

Thanks again,

Steve

I've got a stand which I'm pretty sure is a 1A, though I'm not at home to look at it at the moment. The spring is actually quite easy to manage. I took mine completely apart and refinished the whole thing, camera and all. Luckily, all my metal was in fair enough condition to not have to worry about besides a good cleaning.

Scott Schroeder, if I might ask, where did you get your casters? My stand is missing its casters, and its been hell trying to find compatible replacements.

thanks steve! pm sent.

i never saw one of those before. how does it attach to the stand?
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery