Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groundglass protectors ??

Smile Groundglass protectors ??

What are some of their characteriistics? I'd imainged a strip of closed-cell foam (as in camping gear) stuffed into the film holder position and a rubber band; but now it seems that "masonite" too is used. As a broken view-piece would put an end to an outing or end a critical shoot -they seem most necessary; but to protect an very expensive "special" groundglass seems absolutely necessary. To avoid marring the glass when inserting the piece and not letting debris enter the camera from particles would seem practical; but, what else should I consider? I'm looking to a Maxwell for a Cambo and want to do the right thing. I was surprised that Maxwell doesn't have a recommendation. Do you? (I'm Clueless)

Re: Groundglass protectors ??

I've used a Maxwell on my Technikardan for over two years and before that used a Wista DX. I've never bothered with a ground glass protector and haven't suffered any damage to date. I do however always put the camera ground glass down into my camera rucksack (Lowepro SuperTrekker or Tenba) so that it is protected by the rucksack frame/back as well as by the internal padding.

David Whistance

joseph

I've never used one on 4x5,
    but I'd imagine they might be more important on the larger formats-

Somebody once mentioned the damage that shards could wreak on the bellows interior;
    that might be the primary reason to use one-

j

Smile Re: Groundglass protectors ??

A nice distinction Joseph, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    Somebody once mentioned the damage that shards could wreak on the bellows interior;
    that might be the primary reason to use one-

j
    Good thought. It’s also inconvenient to try to find another in the middle of nowhere especially one that is odd sized.

I use Plexiglas. Two variants: a piece somewhat larger than the glass itself held in place via Velcro dots. It just pops on and off. The other is a long piece of Plexiglas that is folded that is inserted like a film holder and protects both sides of the glass.

Mike

Smile Re: Groundglass protectors ??

Just "groundglass" replacement would be a conventional hassel in most cases (finding, ordering, paying, waiting, installing ); but a viewing sceen (a brightener, so to speak) can cost hundredes of dollars even for a simple 4/5 version so a practical protector just makes good "cents". So all of your suggestions are valualble.

You want it to be hard and to have air space between it and the ground glass. If it is touching it will impart vibrations and maybe shatter the glass. The main purpose is to prevent objects from hit and breaking the glass, so you want it to be stiff and strong enough - masonite, hard plastic sheets, etc.

The best ones tend to ride on the camera's back, not on the glass itself.

Good points, Frank

I use a piece of Lexan with velcro tabs on the four corners - place it so that there is some relief from the ground glass (i.e. it should be oversize and a couple of mms from the surface of the ground glass when mounted). Dick Phillips supplies(d) these on his larger cameras and they work perfectly. They sell sheets of Lexan at Home Depot or Lowes and a cheap scoring tool for "cutting" it to the correct size.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I never used one... about 30 years without ever dropping a back. And then one day earlier this year... oooooooooooops.

Now I rubberband a piece of styrofoam sheeting to the (new) GG when not in use.