Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monorail...I have to ask.

Monorail...I have to ask.

Ok, I don't think there's any real chance that I want a monorail camera. Just about every picture I ever take is out in the mountains/desert/beach/woods.

How bad is it to tote something like that Calument monorail in the classifieds? Can you carry it essentially assembled in a large bag then easily mount it to a tripod for quick(ish) use?

Re: Monorail...I have to ask.

Thirty-some years ago, all I had was a 4x5 Calumet monorail. I found a back pack that was large enough to accommodate the fiberboard case, and used the outer wells in the interior to pack wrapped lenses, film holders and such. The pack was certainly heavy, and less than convenient, but it worked.

The Toho I use is a field monorail. Full movements on both ends, and one of the lightest 5x4 camera available. I pack it everywhere. Fairly quick and simple to use, but you do have to know before hand whether you are shooting horizontal or vertical. Changing after you are setup isn't all that hard, but it's not as convenient as a revolving back.

The Toho isn't a flexible as a full monorail -- it's not the answer for heavy architectural or studio work. But for landscape it's very nice indeed, especially if you are backpacking it.

Bruce Watson

I have a Calumet monorail that I use inside. I *really* wouldn't want to pack this; it would be a serious hassle. If you worked mostly out of your trunk (like many LF'ers do), it wouldn't be so bad. But if you want to do field work, for sure I would say get some sort of field camera.

Another vote for the Toho: I am completely satisfied with mine.

Before purchasing the Toho I packed a Sinar, which is fine for short hikes if one is in good shape.

Bruce,
    That Toho looks great. Unfortunately, that's about a decimal place too expensive for me.

I hate being cheap.

A big wheel jogging baby stroller might make the monorail more portable. Unless you already have one or find a low mileage example at a garage sale, they aren't cheap.

I have no idea which Calumet is for sale. What I do know is that I purchased a Kodak view camera that supposedly became a Calumet view camera. It had a few issues like: non-standard lens boards and standards that would not get very close to each other. In other words, it needed a non-standard, recessed lens board to accomodate lenses shorter than 110mm-120mm. After figuring out all of this, I returned the camera for a refund.

YMMV
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Room is always a problem for me.
    I travel with my family, usually the 4 of us in a compact car. No room for baby strollers. If I had any sense left, I'd stick to 15mm lenses on 35mm cameras.

Cool Where's the fun in that?

Quote Originally Posted by dazedgonebye View Post
    Room is always a problem for me.
    I travel with my family, usually the 4 of us in a compact car. No room for baby strollers. If I had any sense left, I'd stick to 15mm lenses on 35mm cameras.
    Sense? We have sense left? Who knew?
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Just compress the front and back standards, wrap your darkcloth around them, and stick the Calumet into the top of your pack with the rail sticking out. Not very elegant but what other camera is $100 and offers full moves? In someways having a disposable 4x5 is better -- you'll use it in bad weather and dicey situations.

The other way to carry it is to mount it on the tripod and put the tripod over your shoulder and march. It will be faster to shoot with and maybe you'll find better photos -- more intimate and unique, less of the grand vista from the mountain top sunset crap -- closer to home if you don't have to unpack and set-up simply to check a scene out.