Thread: Hoya black and white filters - any good?

Scott Hannaford

Hoya black and white filters - any good?

Hi all - there's a set of hoya filters for black and white (red, orange, yellow etc - the uncoated variety I think) going at a reasonable price here locally. Are the Hoyas a reasonable quality, or do they fall into the same camp as the Cokin NDs? They are only a bargain if they are worth having.
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Scott

Re: Hoya black and white filters - any good?

I've got a hoya polariser that came with a defect in the glass. I didn't have the opportunity to send it back. The filter works fine. I've got a hoya orange (g) filter with a retaining ring that somehow unscrews itself until the glass rattles around. The filter itself is fine. Hoyas I have and have seen use aluminum rings which don't last as long as brass and run the risk of jamming or cross threading in my experience. B+W & heliopan use brass.

Preston Birdwell

An uncoated filter may cause flare problems. I also concur with Vinny's comments regarding the aluminum rings.

You might consider the higher quality filters from B+W and Heliopan. I use B&W Pro series for my screw-in filters. They are built to last, and have excellent multi-coatings.

-Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Just waiting to be developed..

I bought the Hoya 77mm B&W filter set from Calumet's ebay store.
    They are of good quality and seem to do the job very well.
    I would definitely recommend them especially at the price they are offering it at.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

There's two different grades of Hoyas, the regular coated and then the HMC, which are multi-coated. That said, I prefer the HMC if I can get it. I also have a fair amount of the regular grade. I'll take a regular grade Hoya over a Tiffen any day.

The B+W also come in two grades, regular and multi-coated. I'll take the HMC Hoya over a regular grade B+W, but would take the MC B+W over the HMC.

In the end, it usually comes down to price.

I have quite a few Hoyas and they've always been fine. On one of the larger yellows the glass is a little loose in the rim which is mildly annoying but has no effect on use of the filter. I also have quite a few B+Ws, Heliopans, and Tiffens. They all do well. I use a lens shade quite a bit so I don't worry about coated vs uncoated.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I own Hoyas and B&Ws and the Hoya MC filters seem to work every bit as good. I've never had any problem with the aluminum vs. brass (although I don't usually leave filters on lenses all the time).

Drew Wiley

Hoya filters come either single-coated or multi-coated. Both are quite good, substantially better than Tiffen. But I personally only buy the multi-coated variety for general use because I also potentially use them on medium format; and with
    certain wide-angle MF lenses I can't control flare as well as with a compendium-shaded view camera lens. In other words, under certain circumstances it might make a difference; but if you are getting a bargain, why not? I don't think I've ever
    had a Hoya filter I regretted.

I have some Hoya MC filters. They work fine. Uncoated filters might lead to some flare and loss of contrast in some situations, but they also are much less delicate than multi-coated ones.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Almost everyone in the industry uses Hoyas to some extent; many cinematographers use some of the Hoyas as well; just stay away from cheap Chinese filters, esp. polarisers and UVs; everything else on the market is basically usable; even B+W and Heliopan have issues, e.g. with their NDs and Polarisers....having said that, their brass mounts are very nice to use. I see B+W/Heliopan being used by well-off amateurs to an almost greater extent than Pros. I'm using a mix of these brands, plus e.g. Tiffen. Frankly, (to me) they are all fine and I couldn't tell from the pics what brand I used.
    Note to others that have mentioned loose filter mounts: Using a proper lens wrench with in extreme cases a tiny bit of Loctite on the locking-ring fixes those problems in seconds.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."