Thread: Another Zonie

Smile Another Zonie

Hello. My name is Jess and I just became a member yesterday. Although I am new to this forum I am not new to photography. I have been teaching photo for 30 years at the high school level and did 13 years as a part-time instructor at the Jr. College level.

I am a native of Arizona (a rarity it seems anymore what with all of the transplants) and have been involved in photography for over 30 years. I seriously started Large Format back in 1985 when I picked up my first brand new 4x5 Cherry Wood Wista DX and went off to attend a "Friends of Photography" workshop the following year. I still have it including a Wista 45 SP metal field which is my go to 4x5. My film of choice is (was?) T-Max 100 in Ready-Load packs but as I understand Kodak has ceased production. So I guess I will be going back to sheet film in the near future. Luckily, I still have a small supply of Ready-Loads handy.

My subject of choice is the landscape and Arizona offers quite a diversity in this area. I currently use a Beseler 45MX and MXT for enlarging each equipped with a "new" to me Oriental VC-CLS cold light head and a Zone VI cold light hooked up to a Zone VI cold light stabliizer. I have recently gone back to Oriental's Seagull variable contrast paper in the glossy surface. Graded Oriental was my choice for years and then they disappeared for a while. However, this VC paper works really nice for me and I really like the look of the paper with my negatives. Ilford and Agfa are my other favorites.

I look forward to contributing when I can and learning more as I go. Thanks.

Jess

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Another Zonie

Welcome, Jess! I'm down the road from you a bit (in Tucson). I also teach high school photo classes, and the occassional community college class. I'm guessing that with the new state standards, your program is going mostly digital? A sign of the times...

Hope you enjoy the forum! It's a great place for information and imagery.

~ Mark
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Welcome!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Richard M. Coda

Hi Jess, and welcome from Scottsdale!

I'm a "transplant" from NJ (2005). I take Rod Klukas' LF class at SCC every semester. Tonight is my final. If you're in the area... Rm. 122 in the Art Building, 6-10 PM

I also have a show up at Photomark until the end of the year.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Welcome, Jess! I'm down the road from you a bit (in Tucson). I also teach high school photo classes, and the occassional community college class. I'm guessing that with the new state standards, your program is going mostly digital? A sign of the times...

Hope you enjoy the forum! It's a great place for information and imagery.

~ Mark
    Hey Mark. Thanks for the welcome. Fortunately I only have a few more years till retirement and the traditional darkroom isn't going anywhere as far as I am concerned. With the state economy being as it is I doubt my district will want to invest the money to convert completely to digital. We have 6 Sr.High schools and easily twice that in Jr.Highs and the cost would be prohibitive for complete conversion. Several use digital in their instruction but I presently don't know of any of our high schools that have converted completely and I have been in my district for 30 years and all at the same school.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Welcome!
    Thank you, Kirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    Hi Jess, and welcome from Scottsdale!

I'm a "transplant" from NJ (2005). I take Rod Klukas' LF class at SCC every semester. Tonight is my final. If you're in the area... Rm. 122 in the Art Building, 6-10 PM

I also have a show up at Photomark until the end of the year.
    High Richard. I will have to get over to Photomark to see your exhibit if time allows. I have known of Rod since his days at Tempe Camera. I bought my current Wista SP from him over at Photomark about 8 years ago after I lost my first SP when my home was burglarized about 10 years ago. Lost all of my 4x5 gear and accessories as I had conveniently stored it in my Tamrac backpack. Easy to walk off with when its all packed in one place. I had all Fujinon lenses at the time. 210mm, 135mm, and a 90mm. I really liked those lenses.

Thumbs up Re: Another Zonie

Hi Jess and welcome from another forum newbie. I had to think back for a minute and then realized I'd been in one of your JC B&W photo classes back in the '80s but only for one or two evenings. Something got in the way and I had to drop the class. When I got back trying again I wound up taking Yvonne DeVane's (sp?) class for a couple of semesters over at Dobson High.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemxr View Post
    Hi Jess and welcome from another forum newbie. I had to think back for a minute and then realized I'd been in one of your JC B&W photo classes back in the '80s but only for one or two evenings. Something got in the way and I had to drop the class. When I got back trying again I wound up taking Yvonne DeVane's (sp?) class for a couple of semesters over at Dobson High.

Doug
    That is interesting. What's the last name, Doug? I will have to see if my memory is still working from back then. I remember Yvonne at Dobson. I believe she left her teaching position from Dobson at end of the 80's or early 90's. That program went downhill not long after. Jerry Smith took over for Yvonne and did fine with it but then that that was it. Too bad because they had a good Art program there.

BTW- my darkroom now is nothing like it was back then. The darkroom went through an extensive remodel with all new darkroom cabinetry and sinks and some additional equipment.

Good to know you continued your interest.

Jess

Post Re: Another Zonie

Quote Originally Posted by Jess C View Post
    That is interesting. What's the last name, Doug? I will have to see if my memory is still working from back then. I remember Yvonne at Dobson. I believe she left her teaching position from Dobson at end of the 80's or early 90's. That program went downhill not long after. Jerry Smith took over for Yvonne and did fine with it but then that that was it. Too bad because they had a good Art program there.

BTW- my darkroom now is nothing like it was back then. The darkroom went through an extensive remodel with all new darkroom cabinetry and sinks and some additional equipment.

Good to know you continued your interest.

Jess
    Too bad about the photography program going down hill at Dobson. The photo lab set-up there was great for students and for the JC adult education program. Yvonne was a good teacher and I enjoyed her classes enough to take them a total of three times. There was no Photo III so she just let me take Photo II again for no credit and worked with me on the side with my pictures and printing. Great experience all in all.

Doug Klassen

Welcome, Jess!

I use to assist at FoP workshops in the 80's -- who knows, we might have run into each other. I would have been the tall hairy hippy type guy with glasses. I still had my ponytail back then. But I did take off for New Zealand to photograph for 6 months in 86/87, so I might have been there instead.

Bummer about the stolen equipment. I had all my 5x7 rig stolen out of my truck in 1995 -- I used it as an excuse to move to 8x10!