Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shouldn't these drum scans be better than this?

Re: Shouldn't these drum scans be better than this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    Maybe. For one, I do use a unprofiled workflow. All b&w gets custom generated CMS'es and some color, depending on how good the histograms are with a supplied CMS. If I use a supplied CMS, it's because the CMS is almost perfect and I only do minor adjustments. Then I am doing far less adjustment anyway (than from RAW scan to corrected scan). One wins either way.

Lenny
    Sorry if I was confused but you stated above that you never adjust the analog gain. My understanding is that this is exactly what the curve in the CMS file does. Nonetheless, aside from manipulation of the CMS curve nothing else is applied in the scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Beckenbach View Post
    Sorry if I was confused but you stated above that you never adjust the analog gain. My understanding is that this is exactly what the curve in the CMS file does. Nonetheless, aside from manipulation of the CMS curve nothing else is applied in the scanner.
    Let me be clear. What I meant was that I don't have a tool, slider, pulldown menu that uses the words "analog gain" anywhere in the program. I can neither confirm nor deny whether a CMS adjusts analog gain. My thought process revolves around imaging vs electronics, whenever I get into the electronics part of it I find that there is a plethora of missing information and I just get frustrated. I look at what happens to the images as they are scanned with different methodologies and that is how I form my conclusions.

It has been explained to me that the CMS is a compilation of a few things, not just the curve. However, it is pretty clear that there is some hardware register inside the scanner that gets this information and if they can apply a curve as it scans then this is a benefit over doing it after the fact. We apparently both agree that they can do this.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Just waiting to be developed..

In NYC, there are few labs left that still know how to scan.
    A fare chunk are using Tango's, Hell scanners and Imacon's (not a drum scanner).
    Many sell Imacon and flat bed scans as drum scans. A poor practice but i have personally seen it and been a victim (years back)
    I feel its a big problem in the industry but something thats not going to change.

But i see the biggest problem as the knowledge. A lot of technicians are not versed in drums scanning. Its as much an art as it is science.
    They are thrown into the job head first or trained by someone who didn't know how to use it in the first place.
    Some buy a drum scanner of the internet or through a broker thinking they can make money at it.
    Someone in the company said they know how to use it but dont. They end up with very angry customers.
    I end up with a lot of customers that way.
    Service bureaus used to be king in all things pre press. Now, every lab and photographer has a scanner and a printer.
    I have great respect for those who could run a Hell 3010 and burn plates. Ive always wanted to try it!
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express