Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 65mm or 75mm lens

multiplex

65mm or 75mm lens

hi - for the most part i do 90% black and white 4x5 documentary photography. i am planning on buying either a 65mm or a 75mm lens to do very wide angle work. i have been using a 90mm super angulon as my "wide lens" and a friend recently suggested that i look into getting a 65mm. i have heard the early versions of this lens barely covered 4x5 unless you had an f8, and even then the light was pretty uneven. i know i can't afford the $1700.00 that a new one will probably cost. is the difference that huge that i will be able to see right away that i have a older lens rather than a newer one? and is the difference between the 75mm and 65mm lens like night and day? i know the 65mm renders a pretty distored image, is the image from the 75mm almost as distorted? i live in rhode island and there are no places around here <unless i go to boston> to rent one so i could see for myself ... i appreciate your help<s>! thanks! john

65mm or 75mm lens

Yes, there are differences. With the 65 mm, you need a center filter, meanwhile on the 75, it works queit often without. And on high-contrast light, the center creates sort of bright "shadow." Obviously the 75 mm is not as distorted, as the 65. If possible I alwith use the 75 instaed of the 65. I had the 65 first and still felt attracted to the 75. I never regretted it !!

When buying some old one, test them, because even in the same serie, there are b ig diffreneces. To checke if a lenses is dammaged, its usefull to screw any filt er on it, once can fast feel it. (If the filters doesn't go easely in, you know that it's not rund anymore, so there has been a fall.)

65mm or 75mm lens

</unl></font>Sorry, nothing to contribute. I just wanted to turn off the strikethrough.John, don't use the triangular parentheses! They're used to enclose HTML instructions.

65mm or 75mm lens

It's not distortion folks! Curved lines are distortion. That's just the way a wide angle lens "sees". Either you want the wide angle view or not. If you want it, live with the look.

65mm or 75mm lens

You are right, its the foreground/background-relation, but shooting with wides i s alwith more critical, in my opinion.

65mm or 75mm lens

As a beginning architectural photographer a decade ago, when I started to do interiors I knew my 90mm was not wide enough. I took Norman McGrath's advice and bought a 75mm, which is great for most interiors- it has a modest amount of movement ability on 4x5 and a wide but not to stretched looking image. Many years later, I felt the need to ad a 65mm, so I bought a used Fuji f5.6 on Ebay for about $850. I have been suprised at how much I use this lens instead of the 75mm. The coverage is good enough to allow a small amount of movement, and the wider view angle is good for smaller rooms. By the way, the f5.6/4.5 lenses cover 4x5 well, it's the f8 that just barely makes it. You would probably be happy with either focal length, the 65 being better for tighter spaces, the 75 for larger rooms and allowing a bit of shift. You might also consider the Super Angulon XL 72mm, which is between the two lenses in focal length and has more coverage than the regular 75mm- if I had to have just one very wide lens, I think that would be it. I have seen them used for $1000 +/-. Hope this helps.

65mm or 75mm lens

This is interesting. What kind of trick you have done?

65mm or 75mm lens

Good idea, David

multiplex

65mm or 75mm lens

thanks for your input - sorry about the brackets - john

65mm or 75mm lens

I have the Super Angulon 65mm f8 that can be bought reletively cheaply ($350 +/- $50). I haven't used it indoors a lot, or in bright sunlight, but I'm pretty pleased with the results even without the center filter. I'm sure for critical work, or work where the edge fall-off would be noticeable or objectionable, you'd need the filter, but for my landscape stuff (mostly near dusk or dawn) I haven't even noticed it.

It doesn't have a lot of movement on my camera, because it's partly inside the rear standard, but I have the feeling even if I could move it, it wouldn't cover much more than the 4x5 frame anyway.