Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Graphic

Super Graphic

Is there any reason, when choosing between the various models of Graphic cameras, not to choose the Super Graphic?
    I'm liking the idea of a rotating back.

Anything special I should know about these cameras?

Thanks,

Re: Super Graphic

Nope... it's a great choice. A rotating back is a definite plus with any camera.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Dave Karp

If I remember correctly, it has front tilt too.

it is nice but substantially heavier than a crown graphic. Other wise....the super is sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    Nope... it's a great choice. A rotating back is a definite plus with any camera.
    Greg,

I was intrigued by the B&W pano you have as an icon in your post. I clicked on it but nothing comes up! I can't see it on your website. I was thinking it's a stitch or is it?

I'd like to see it larger. Hope this isn't off topic,

Asher

P.S. I did search your website, enjoyed the graphics and the flowers, but alas, missed the B&W photography!

Has more movements than earlier graphics...

The Super Graphic, in addition to a generous front bed drop, also has front swing and shift, but the mechanism to unlock the movements is very obscure. I had a Super a couple of years before I found the front shift and swing. I already knew about the rise, fall (through the judicious use of the front bed drop) and the tilts. In fact there are a couple of workarounds to increase the front tilts both to the front and rear.

The revolving back also removes and exposed Graflok slides for using all the graflok back accessories, like roll film backs and Quickload and Readyload.

The fact is that the Super Graphic I have in my camera cupboard actually has more agressive movements than my Toyo 45AII, with one exception. The Toyo has a more conventional tilt on the back. OTOH, you can accomplish rear tilt on the Super Graphic with your tripod.

I never used any of my Super Graphics with the rangefinder. It's difficult to find the rangefinder cams, since the camera needs one for each focal length of lens. But as a GG viewing camera, it will give you almost as much versatility as any of the wood or metal field cameras out there.

There is an excellent writeup by Stephen Gandy on the CameraQuest web site.

Link:

http://www.cameraquest.com/supergrp.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Greg,

I was intrigued by the B&W pano you have as an icon in your post. I clicked on it but nothing comes up! I can't see it on your website. I was thinking it's a stitch or is it?

I'd like to see it larger. Hope this isn't off topic,

Asher

P.S. I did search your website, enjoyed the graphics and the flowers, but alas, missed the B&W photography!
    Thanks for looking. I don't have much time with updating my website at all since I don't have much spare time. Most of that stuff was put up about ten years ago or so and hasn't generated any real work. The little icon on my post is a 6x12 pinhole image that I did with my new Zero Image 6x12F (serial number 0001, btw) this past hunting season with my yellow lab named Abigail. I recently got back into pin-holing since I first did some in college many moons ago. I also have a 4x5 Zero Image. They are fun cameras to carry around and weigh next to nothing and you don't have to "waste time" focusing.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    Thanks for looking. I don't have much time with updating my website at all. Most of that stuff was put up about ten years ago or so. The little icon on my post is a 6x12 pinhole image that I did with my new Zero Image 6x12F this past hunting season with my yellow lab named Abigail. I recently got back into pin-holing since I first did some in college many moons ago. I also have a 4x5 Zero Image. They are fun cameras to carry around and weigh next to nothing and you don't have to "waste time" focusing.
    Thanks Greg,

I just got a larger icon but large enough to now see the lab and know that here at least, Jim cannot easily upstage you. Aren't pinhole cameras wonderfully light! I was just fascinate with the image and it's fun to see it a little bigger.

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Thanks Greg,

I just got a larger icon but large enough to now see the lab and know that here at least, Jim cannot easily upstage you. Aren't pinhole cameras wonderfully light! I was just fascinate with the image and it's fun to see it a little bigger.

Asher
    Even tough the dog was about 6 feet from me at the time, the camera's 40 mm focal length sure covers a wide area. I have a print that's a 8.5x17" that looks even better and that is about the max size I think these pinhole images still look good. I'm amazed to how sharp they can be too. Those photographers over at f295 are sure inspiring with such a simple tool.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

Since no one has mentioned it, the Super has one major (for some users) drawback relative to the Pacemakers.

The Pacemaker (Crown, Speed) Graphics' inner and outer bed rails are linked. This means that lenses which make infinity with the front standard on the inner rails can be focused using the focus knobs at the front of the outer rails.

The Super's inner and outer bed rails are not linked. Lenses that make infinity "inside the box" can be focused only by unlocking the front standard and pushing/pulling it. I can't imagine what the Super's designers were thinking.