Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings from AZ and some questions

Richard M. Coda

Re: Greetings from AZ and some questions

While you're at Photomark, be sure to go to the Gallery section and take a peek at my show, which is up until the end of December.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Casa Grande? I was born and raised there. Little Sombrero's was the place to go for lunch when the high school was just across the street.
    Class of 1974. CG is growing. Not the small town it used to be.

Post Re: Greetings from AZ and some questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jess C View Post
    Casa Grande? I was born and raised there. Little Sombrero's was the place to go for lunch when the high school was just across the street.
    Class of 1974. CG is growing. Not the small town it used to be.
    Jess, I still eat at Little Sombrero's occasionally. Pretty good tamales and cheaper than the sit-down restaurants where the food isn't much better and the prices are higher.

Yes, CG is growing, sort of. The real estate bubble has left lots of empty lots around town. Large neighborhoods, all streets in and only a handful of houses built before the builders shut down. I note that in some cases the vast, empty, unbuilt lots are making convenient storage parking for boats and RVs of the few residents. I understand the city has halted construction of the newest high school because the anticipated residential growth has petered out. The new school won't be quite as classic as the one you attended.

On a more important note: I didn't make it to Photomark last week because my son decided to drive down from Flagstaff for a visit. Had not seen him in some months so it was a nice surprise. Hopefully this Saturday I'll make it up to Photomark, see what's what with my "treasure chest" Linhof, meet Rod K. and also see Richard's photos.

I was rummaging through an old box of photo stuff, 35mm prints from photo class in the '80s, near-useless photo bric-a-brac, and such and found some of the film and Polaroids I shot with the Linhof back in '89. The color transparencies were still in the envelope from the processing lab. 4 sheets of quickload developed for $3.00. I won't be scanning and posting them here for the world to see, I have some pride left even if I sold out to digital cameras long ago.

Doug

Thumbs up Made it down to Photomark today

I thought I'd mention that I made it down to Photomark today and spent a good deal of time talking with Rod K.

Eugene, I did tell Rod "hi" for you and he seemed pleased to hear that you are still alive and kicking.

Rod was extremely accommodating and friendly, looked through my Linhof "treasure chest" and pronounced it all good stuff except for one lens board which didn't seem to fit the Linhof or anything else. No biggie there.

We talked for some extended time about LF photography, his class at the community college, and the camera store people we both knew way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. He was kind enough to set up an Arca 4x5 for me and give me a quick micro-lesson on LF which helped jog my memory of the LF class of long ago. I was really impressed with how much brighter the screen was on the Arca than the Linhof. The Linhof ground glass is in fine condition, just not as bright as the newer "wonderglass" or whatever on the 5 year old Arca. The eyes are getting old; brighter is better!

Richard, my wife and I happened to look at your pictures separately (I was talking cameras with Rod, she wandered off in a daze after 30 minutes). Later in the car we agreed that our favorite photo of your show was the "Kelp 2" image. For me the "Whalers Cove" image was a close second. Debbie was very impressed with the fine detail in the sand of the kelp shot. She had not really ever looked closely at a large format print or negative before so the photos on display and the color positives Rod showed her made a big impression.

My wife thinks I should take Rod's class and I'm inclined to do so even though I don't think the Linhof would meet my needs beyond that. I'm much more interested in outdoor photography so a lighter field camera of some sort would be a better choice. Twenty years ago I lugged the Linhof around a bit but that was...well...twenty years ago. I may sell the camera (keeping two of the lenses) and put the money generated by the sale towards a field camera.

I loved handling the cameras and Rod was very encouraging, I'm just not sure if I want to tackle or spend the $ on an aspect of photography that might prove more frustrating than rewarding, especially as I'm already getting deeper into digital. If I was not retiring in 10 weeks the decision would be a no-brainer (go for it!) but I'm growing a bit cautious in these challenging financial times. More thinking is in order but regardless, thanks to all here for the advice and recommendations.

Doug

Richard M. Coda

Hi Doug:

Thanks for your comments. Yes, the favorite images (from what I have heard) were the Kelp, Whaler's Cove and the Barber Shop.

If you can, yes, take Rod's class. I just had my final last week... I showed color for the first time and it was well received. I'm taking the next semester off but will pop my head in occasionally and on field trips, and probably still maintain Rod's class email list. There is one more final THIS Wednesday (Dec. 17, 6:00 PM) and you're more than welcome to attend to get a feel for the class. I can't attend this week as I have travel plans.

I see Rod set up the Arca for you. That's how he got me. :^) Now I have two (4x5 field and 8x10) and an 11x14 Canham back for the 8x10. It is addicting!

Hope to see you around.

Rich
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Doug,

Welcome back to the dark slide. I shoot digital as well, but I consider LF my real camera even if the ratio of clicks is XXX to X. . .

I second Jim's note about the Minolta F, that's my favorite meter, but you have perfectly good ones to expose film by. I don't do so, but some users determine their LF exposures using digital and chimping. . .

Last note, is if they don't have an enlarger in that warehouse, you can buy them for pennies on the dollar these days so setting up the darkroom for 4 x 5 will be a piece of cake plus shipping or gas.

Look forward to hearing from you about your new adventure and congratulations on your 2009 date.

Wilbur